car engine oil extended change

Not really. But then again, I suppose it is in a car with no suspension or decent steering.

I have a 1.6 litre 20 year old Ford Capri that can do 120.

Christ, even the poverty spec ones are rated over 120MPH in the UK.

LOL. Alot of Eurodinky cars have speed limiters fitted to them set at

155MPH.
Reply to
Conor

Neither are ours. And the condition of them is crap too. It's called DECENT SUSPENSION.

Oh dear.

Reply to
Conor

The current top of the 'bigger is better' arms race.

And is that a good thing, do you think?

Reply to
PC Paul

So for the UK, read unroadworthy.

Pretty much the same here.

Its all about observation.

Reply to
Conor

Cuba springs to mind.

Reply to
Conor

Sounds like you had one hell of a good time.

Reply to
Conor

That festering den of iniquity....has a counterpart on the west coast. They're both cancers.

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

That's where the Yanks dump *their* shoddy stuff. And that's baaaadddd.

I was thinking of a much larger and more Northerly third world country....

Reply to
PC Paul

Lately, because of our technology, the enemy doesn't get a chance at our troops during a battle. So a higher percentage of our casualties are due to our mistakes.

That doesn't much apply to this IED and suicide murderer crap though.

Reply to
websurf1

'Course, the reason you can drive those battleships wide open in the Big Sky Country is because there are so few people there. Most people live in the cities, whre there is no room or need for battleships on wheels. But even there they still drive those battlewagons, because they THINK they live in BSK, because that's what all the ads fill their stupid little heads with. So we have these huge, powerful, 4-wheel drive battlewagons searching for a berth in the local K-mart, partaking in the American urban automobile-arms race. These ships will never really need the 4-wheel drive, because the owners will never take them off the paved roads. Those few that do like to tear up new territory, and are a menace to wildlife and wilderness. And for all that, the ships suck up tons of gas. I'm still praying for $5 per gallon. That'll shut most of them down.

Reply to
websurf1

In news: snipped-for-privacy@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, snipped-for-privacy@cox.net wrote something quite bizarre, possibly in an effort to confuddle the world. It went like so;

Don't bother praying for $5 gallons, come to the UK, we pay more than that anyway, and have done for years.

Admittedly, we get bigger gallons.

Reply to
Pete M

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Driving across the states in a 2cv, from Boston to Sacramento - of COURSE we had a good time!

Reply to
Adrian

Lawrence Glickman (Lawrence snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

San Fran?

Actually, San Fran's a superb city. Best city I've visited in the US.

Reply to
Adrian

My house will fit inside some trucks on American Roads. It is not uncommon to see a house going down the road...one half on one truck, the other half on a truck behind that one.

Keep in mind I live at the confluence of the Northern cross-country mainway and the central US north/south mainway. Chicago...where Interstate 80 joins up with North/south I-55 and I-65 north/south, and I see all the traffic ( most of the traffic )...not to mention trains hauling freight and commuters. With the airports here, and the highways, I do believe I live at the epicenter of the busiest traffic area on the planet. We have a take-off and landing every 60 seconds at O'Hare, and an endless stream of trucks and ships from foreign ports of call.

I suppose I've become quite used to it, living in this giant transportation hub for the last 30 years. 1/4 million commuters to the city in the morning, 1/4 million commuters out in the evening, by personal automobile. Another bunch by train...that's on 1 highway. So add in another 1/4 million cars going to and from on I-94 for a total of 1/2 million a day each way. Then the trucks going cross country or stopping here to offload a foreign ship, it is BUSY. So freaking busy that the Federal Highway commission is widening the arteries into and out of the city. 7 lanes going each way is right! when you hit the I-94 going to/from Chicago. That's counting local and express lanes. 14 lanes wide. And every one of them is jammed up and jelly tight.

New York City is another port of call, and then of course the Sans in California. And Texas. 4 *spots* that take most of the traffic. Lucky me to live at one of them. Population in the coterminous US is around 280 million, and they all ( most of them ) need to move about. That's a lot of turning tires.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Pete M ( snipped-for-privacy@bogoffwithzepressedmeatblueyonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

$5/US gallon is 75p/litre.

Remind me... 90p/litre at the moment? That's $6.

Reply to
Adrian

I've had an oil analysis done three times since I bought my last car. I have a five mile one way commute and the large majority of my trips are short distance, but the large majority of my miles are long (20+ miles) at a time. I usually change my oil around

4000-5000 miles just to be on the safe side.

In the analyses, moisture or fuel content has never been higher than the minimum threshold. Water content has always been

0.0%, Insolubles were under .2%. As long as the acid neutralizers aren't depleted, acid production shouldn't be a problem with modern motor oils.

OTOH - I do have a fairly new car and I do take it for nice long rides at least every other week. So the key may be to simply vary driving conditions.

Reply to
y_p_w

In news:Xns977EB5CAFB4AAadrianachapmanfreeis@204.153.244.170, Adrian wrote something quite bizarre, possibly in an effort to confuddle the world. It went like so;

As I said, we pay more than $5 a gallon :-)

shit, innit.

Reply to
Pete M

Yes, out on the highway once a week to burn-off the volatiles mixed in with the oil, and clean the carbon out of the engine with high rpm's. It's good for the car, or so I'm led to believe.

You can ALSO get your rpm's in the city...watch your tachometer as it goes through 1st and 2nd gear. The thing is to run the engine long enough to get it up to temperature for 20 minutes at a time. The car will be just fine with your routine, IMHO. I am not a *certified* anything anymore, except possibly a certified grump. But I can tell you that even in city stop and go traffic, your engine will be fine as you can see from your tachometer...you have the same rpm's as if you're highway cruising. I see no problem whatsoever with your oil schedule.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Have fun explaining how it worked fine for me.

Yeah, yeah, nice theory, pity about the reality.

My engine has lasted fine for 30+ years.

Nice theory, pity about the reality.

My engine has lasted fine for 30+ years.

How odd that some manufacturers recommend 12 months.

You're furiously living in the past, child.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Never ever could bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.

Reply to
Rod Speed