Car squeals when started

x-no-archive: yes

Have a 2004 nissan sentra, which I bought used in 2006.

In the last few months, I have noticed that when I start it, there is a squealing noise from the front of the car. It lasts in the minute or so it takes for me to drive out of my apt building garage -- the squeals continue when I make turns. After I hit the highway and the car warms up, the squealing stops.

I'm guessing it's a pretty basic problem; what is it? Thank you.

Reply to
tarkanian.1.rahim

It sounds like you need to get your alternator belt tightened. Trevor Smith

Reply to
Trevor Smith

I think Trevor is right that it is probably a slipping belt you are hearing.

Tightening may be possible, or it may not.

Some cars have tensioners to control the tightness of serpentine belts, and further tightening may not be an option.

If the belt is wet with oil or water, or if the contact surface is shiny and/or cracked, you will need to replace it.

In some cases, the tensioners lose their strength and they may have to be replaced.

Reply to
HLS

Sounds like a bad belt or the tensioner assembly is going bad.

Reply to
Steve W.

Are you leaving the A/C or defrost engaged when you stop/start the car? Does it still squeal if you turn it off?

I agree with the other posters that it is a belt issue, but leaving the A/C compressor clutch engaged doesn't help.

nate

Reply to
N8N

x-no-archive: yes

Thanks to all of you for your input. Huh, I do always turn on the defrost. I'll have to start while leaving it off first and see how it sounds. Hadn't thought of that.

Reply to
tarkanian.1.rahim

Look at my earlier post "Presea camshaft lubrication". I had exactly the same squealing noise problem on my Nissan Presea (this may have a different model name in the US). Like you, I assumed it was a minor belt problem, although my attempt to tighten the belt didn't have any effect. Luckily my wife by chance encountered a mechanic who heard the noise and told her it was a serious engine problem. I was very sceptical but he turned out to be right. Removing the valve cover (a 5 minute job) showed the extreme wear occurring on one camshaft, as a result of inadequate lubrication. I suggest you do this, because leaving it unattended could have serious consequences. As part of the repair the mechanic flushed the engine to get rid of all the metal particles. He also changed over to semi-synthetic oil (10w40).

Reply to
Gib Bogle

that's a very alarming story i hope that the probability is too low for it to affect my car.

Reply to
tarkanian.1.rahim

I've been running _only_ synthetic (either Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20) and my engine is happy. Because I live where it is sub-zero Farenheit, I don't like the idea of gelled motor oil in my engine until it heats up. For the couple of extra dollars, I can't think of a better way to prevent unnecessary engine wear.

For people who live in warmer climates, I guess it isn't an issue, but I live *up North,* and it -definitely- is an issue. It goes below zero here quite often.

Reply to
Nicholas

I have often thought about using synthetic oil before.The engine in my

1978 Dodge van (318 engine) doesn't burn oil, not enough to worry about anyway. (actually, all engines do burn some oil) Next time I do an oil and oil filter change, I might pour synthetic oil in there. cuhulin
Reply to
cuhulin