Car stopped using oil (sort of)

1995 Toyota Tercel, 206,000 miles, 36 mpg average.

This is my run-around car. Paid $600 when it had 160,000 miles. Back then it used a little more than one quart per fill-up (300 miles ±). Have a spare low mileage (120,000 miles) wreck on hand, and meant to change engine s if things got worse, or if I couldn't pass smog check.

Anyway, about 4000 miles ago the oil consumption decreased significantly. Now I can go about 3 tankfuls (1000 miles ±) before I have to top off the oil. Not quite a quart.

What gives? What could have changed to decrease the blow-by or valve stem leak, or whatever contributed to the oil consumption. Any ideas? Not comp laining!

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Ring finally came unstuck?

PCV stopped working or started working right?

Reply to
larrymoencurly

My thought exactly. If the vehicle had infrequent oil changes prior to purchase it might have had a stuck ring and restarting a proper maintenance schedule and/or using higher quality oil than the PO unstuck it.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

used a little more than one quart per fill-up (300 miles ±). Have a spare low mileage (120,000 miles) wreck on hand, and meant to change engines if things got worse, or if I couldn't pass smog check.

I can go about 3 tankfuls (1000 miles ±) before I have to top off the oil. Not quite a quart.

leak, or whatever contributed to the oil consumption. Any ideas? Not complaining!

It wasn't entirely blowby due to wear. Something was probably sticking and not moving like it should have. PCV valve, piston rings (rotation), etc and so on. Once it got better care stuff started moving again like it was supposed to or closer to it.

Reply to
Brent