Removing GM Intake Manifold Heater Hose Outlet Nipple

96 Chev Truck 4.2 V6 - 160,000 miles. It was seeping water out of the bottom of the aluminium nipple thing that has a quick disconnect attached to it. When I touched it, the nipple snapped off flush with the manifold. My question is, what is the best way to get the rest of the nipple out of there? Looks like an Ease-out might do it but I thought there may be some other techniques. The remnants are highly corroded and soft. Also, if little bits of aluminium fall down into the hole, will this damage the motor in any way? I thought about heating it with a torch to see if the aluminium would melt out of the threads or maybe threading a steel nipple in there to push the rest of the nipple down into the manifold?

Thanks, Libby

Reply to
LibbyChantel

An easy-out may work, but it will probably crumble the remaining nipple into pieces. Obviously pieces of metal in the intake manifold would be bad, but if they were tiny (dust-like) they shouldn't cause any real problems. It's certainly the lesser of two evils to have a little metal dust in the intake verses the crankcase.

Whatever you do, chase the threads when done with a pipe tap. It's either 3/8" or 1/2" NPT thread.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

I cut two slots partially thru the threads with a stub of a hacksaw blade, the remainder can be dug out with an awl or ice pick. A shop vac can be used to suck up the debris.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

It doesn't look like there is enough metal in there to cut any slot in. Maybe I am to the awl point now. This dumb design is shaking my solid allegience to Chevrolet engineering : )

Reply to
LibbyChantel

Reply to
Frank Knight

I'd rather walk.

Reply to
LibbyChantel

Your wish may just be granted! :)

nate

Reply to
N8N

I'll second Neil's way of doing it. That's the way I get all of these broken nipples out of the manifold. I make 4 cuts, but that's just personal preference.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Ok, I am not sure I understand. I have a threaded hole in the manifold that has a hollow soft metal tube threaded into it. Are you guys sawing down into the hole to divide the tube into pieces, or are you sawing across the top to create a "screwdriver" slot into the tube? That second one can't work, not enough metal. The first one seems risky to the steel threads of the manifold.

Reply to
LibbyChantel

It is risky, but if you are careful, the score will allow a chisel to snap the tube.

Mike

" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

As other posters have suggested, sawing into the remaining nipple, try just ONE slot for starters. And use only pulling strokes with the hacksaw blade so as to minimize filings going into the manifold. Once this slot is cut, use of a punch or awl to peel the remainder out. Often just one slot is sufficient and one scored slot partially thru the manifold threads can easily make a fluid-tight connection, using proper dope when assembling. If the filings-into-manifold concern you so much, you could insert a small rag(or piece of one), with a strong cord attached around a corner for later removal. Holding it firmly against the bottom of the hole, you can carefully remove it, along with many of the filings, when the sawing is completed. Other tips often helpful: grind a single, fine-thread blade, so as to make it narrow enough to allow cutting strokes inside that hole. For a handle, wrap a shop rag around the upper end to make a comfortable, safe handle. HTH & good luck, s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Just for reference, I have a 96 1/2 ton with 5.7 and had the same problem. I was successful with the easyhout.

bb

Reply to
bob

Reply to