Chevy Beretta doesn't start - main fuse problem?

Hi,

I have a 1988 Chevrolet Beretta with the 2.8 L V6, and an automatic transmission. I was working on it the other day and connected up the wires to the blower motor (for the a/c and heater) backwards (positive to negative). I turned the ignition on (but did not try to start the engine) and I heard a semi-loud pop from the engine compartment. I turned the car off, went over to the engine and I smelt an electrical burning smell, but was unable to locate the source. The smell went away after 15-20 seconds. I disconnected the blower fan (and also tried connecting it right) and tried to start the car, but it won't start. The engine doesn't turn, and I get no clicking noises. I have power for everything else.

I got the alternator tested and it is fine. All of the fuses inside the car are ok. I found one 20 AMP fuse in the engine compartment and that is ok. The car has several relays, but none of them have anything to do with the starter or engine. They are all for auxilary stuff. I am unable to find a main fuse for the car, and the people at the auto parts store didn't know if it had one. Does anyone know where the main fuse is on this car? If it doesn't have one, any ideas on what could be going wrong?

Thanks so much for your help,

Bryce Rufener

Reply to
Bryce

The older GMs used a fair number of fusible links (they've mostly moved to maxi-fuses on the newer models, except for the one on the main alternator feed wire). You may have blown one of them. These will look like thickly-insulated pieces of wire - they may appear normal, but if you feel the wire you may be able to find one that is broken inside, or check with an ohmmeter.

Reply to
Robert Hancock