Chrysler closer to reviving a hot Plymouth Barracuda.

Type it in a search engine,,

cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

How hard could it be? The old Barracuda was virtually the same as a Challenger. My mother had a '70 Barracuda. The numb-nuts steering wheel would brush against my thighs and the rear end would frequently break traction. It had pretty good grunt even with the small 318 engine. I had a 67 coupe with a 273, that was a clean, fun car. I loved the integrated vacuum gauge - I wish cars came with that one.

Reply to
dsi1

So the new cuda is going to be a porkbeast like the new Challenger too?

nate

Reply to
N8N

I'm not familiar with the term "porkbeast" but my guess is that rednecks will prefer the Challenger to the Cuda. We know of a woman who lives out of a Challenger. Say what you will about the new Challenger but it sure beats lugging around shopping carts and living on the streets.

I loved my Barracuda but that was a different time - I'd rather have an electric than any piss-ton engine car these days. :-)

Reply to
dsi1

I think the new Challenger looks great... and I'm sure it's got plenty of power... but seriously? 4000+ lbs. for basically a 4-passenger coupe? I don't think the original was particularly light, but ISTR it being around 3500-3600 lbs? Styling was better, too, looked much more lithe and aggressive, without being cartoonish.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

AMuzi

N8N wrote in news:c84cbd5c-5bce-46fe-a297- snipped-for-privacy@t35g2000yqj.googlegroups.com:

They're ALL "porkbeasts" these days: Safety and crash regulations require it. I'm currently looking into a new car to replace my '91 Integra; it turns out that everything that's the same size as the Integra is now, amazingly, at least 400lbs heavier than the 'Teg.

Those same safety and crash regulations also require that the pillars be the size of tree-trunks, the windows be tiny gun-slits, and that the door sills come up to your nose. All in order to turn the vehicle into an impregnable fortess, able to withstand a Visigoth invasion. Outward visibility is awful.

Now that I've actually driven some of the newest cars, I am frankly appalled at what's on the market these days; I hate them all.

Reply to
Tegger

The old cars I used to drive was around 1800 to 2200 lbs. My Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV was a big pig at 2700 lbs. My Hyundai Sonata is 700 lbs heaver than that. That's the way it is with cars these days.

The heaviest car I ever had was a 67 Mercury Parklane which was probably a significant amount over 2 tons. Steve McGarrett drove a black 4 door. Too bad mine was white and had an annoying lifter knock. The guys in the future will have a hard time imagining the existence of these whales. What a nice smooth ride it had. :-)

Reply to
dsi1

My Barracuda had the bucket seats and console shifter as God intended. I slashed my thumb on the shifter the first time I ever drove it. It seems that when you push the button down, it exposed a sharp edge. Beats the heck out of me how that happened since it wasn't all that sharp. I mush have gotten too excited with the car.

I gotta feel sorry for all the guys who look back on their previous cars with disdain. I recall most of the cars I owned with fondness.

Reply to
dsi1

Yawn...yet another new supersized version of a 40 year old muscle car. If memories are all they have to offer I'll look to cars from other countries.

Reply to
John S.

I hear ya! replace "Integra" with "Scirocco and/or Porsche 944" and I feel exactly the same as you.

Those new little Lotus things look appealing, but are likely well out of my price range.

nate

Reply to
N8N