Consequences of a bad engine mount?

My 05 Maxima SE (25,000 miles) , when hot, sometimes sounds like a very rough diesel at idle and row RPMs.

A dealership mechanic finally heard the vibration (I happened to be near the dealership when the problem re-occured) and said it could be a bad engine mount. I'm supposed to take the car in tomorrow.

The car has been doing that for several months (dealership was never able to confirm it before today), any chance that some damage has already occured?

Thanks a lot!

Reply to
223rem

If you haven't heard unbearable noises, chances are good that nothing has been hurt--maybe just a little shroud-plastic scratched on the inside if it has a mechanical fan and fan shroud surrounding it. s

Reply to
sdlomi2

under the conditions you mentioned and without mechanical damage to cause it - you might check for a "recall".

a broken / loose motor mount can put a strain on the other motor mounts, and on devices that are dependent on stability the motor mounts offer. I would have all the mounts replaced AND adjusted to spec..

motor mounts per 'se are subjected to undue strain / wear at times and in so doing break / fail, especially if they are slightly mis-aligned to began with.

the motor / running gear should be adequately anchored and in alignment to perform well.

mho vfe

Reply to
fiveiron