crank no start

yesterday i installed a new alternator on a 99 mitsubishi eclipse and this morning car started up fine and drove perfectly untill i reached train tracks and after i drove over them my check engine came on and after a couple of seconds all the lights in the car became real bright and the car just stalled i opened the hood and seen the positive on the battery fell off as i drove over the tracks so i plugged that back in and tried cranking the car and it would not start. i think i burned out my pcm because when the alternator went out couple days ago the postive was off and i drove the car home and i think i burned out the voltage regulator so when the post came off today the alternator kept on charging and fried my pcm. im suspecting the pcm because when the key is in the on position the check engine does not come on. does this seem like a logical answer or does anybody have any other ideas on what this could be?

Reply to
greasemonkey19

I'd check fusible links first.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

"greasemonkey19" wrote: 99 mitsubishi eclipse

yesterday i installed a new alternator. i drove over some train tracks today and my check engine light came on, then all the lights became real bright, then the car stalled. i discovered that the positive battery cable had fallen off. i plugged it back in and tried cranking the car but it would not start. i think i burned out my pcm because when the alternator previously went out i drove home with the postive off and and i think i burned out the voltage regulator so when the post came off today the alternator kept charging and fried my pcm. i suspect the pcm because when the key is on the check engine does not come on. does a bad pcm seem like a logical cause?

The bright lights indicate a regulator failure. A fusible link probably burned out. If so, replace the link and the regulator, and attach the battery cable securely. The overvoltage probably was not enough to damage the pcm. I hope not, anyway.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

but with the key on the car does a self test of all systems and the check engine is not coming on meaning that the pcm is not working properly the fuses are all ok along with all conections but ill check the fusible links tomorow and tell u how it went

Reply to
greasemonkey19

I think that if you are not capable of putting the battery cable clamps on your battery securely you should let someone else work on your car.

Seriously

Don

Don