I've been collecting information on doing the exact thing (but then on
a 95 integra). The following is not from actually doing it, but just
reading about it:
Apparently, the C-clip that sits at the end of the axle tends to drop
where it gets into the way. The suggestion is to hold it in place with
a little dab of grease, just long enough so you can seat it properly.
Again, have never done this on a Honda, so am just collecting info at
the moment. Perhaps others have other suggestions.
Thanks for the reply.
I tried all suggestions plus some others, and...
I finally managed to seat the CV axle properly. As it turned out,
hammering twice on a piece of wood contacting the end of the boot
closer to the transmission was the onl y thing did the trick. I made
sure to put a piece of cloth between the wood and the boot to prevent
Don't use a hammer! Instead, put the inner joint into the transmission and
then put the outer joint into the hub but DON'T reconnect the ball joint.
Next, grab the brake roter/hub assembly and use it to push the axle in such
that the clip ring on the inner joint is seated. It usually just takes a
light to moderate amount of force swinging the brake rotor/hub assembly
inwards. You should be able to feel the inner joint pop into place.
Visually inspect the installation to make sure that it's seated correctly
and then reassemble the ball joint and anything else you may have
As Eric says, don't force it! Strong pushes are sufficient unless something
is out of whack. The mass of the axle makes banging it a bad idea. The C
clip may be sprung (you're supposed to use a new one, but I often neglect
that part) or the spline part may be too long (wrong part).
First, if you haven't done it yet, lay the two axles (old and new) side by
side on a newspaper pad. Compare each part carefully to verify the two are
really the same. It's really sad to get everything nearly together and find
the steering knuckle won't go on.
Otherwise, if the clip is sprung from being worked over the end of the
spline too roughly work it back off and reshape it with your fingers. Work
it on carefully and try again.
I have done this on a couple of my Hondas one of which was I think a 92. I
always look at the gap between the case and the flange before I take one of
these out, so I can make sure I have it all the way in when I reinstall.
It has been a while since I did one because I an now too lazy to do
these. But, as I recall, that little circlip on the end has to slide in
and engage a groove inside the case. (I f you have messed yours up, get a
new one, they aren't reusable) Now it takes some modest amount of force to
overcome the initial frictionand to get that clip to snap in. I push hard
against the end of the axel as far in as it will go. Then I have a small
rawhide mallet, probably only 6 ounces, and smacked on the outermost end of
the axel just as hard as I could---remember that's not so hard with a small
mallet. In each Honda that was sufficient.
Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.