putting CV axle back...darn it!

Hi, I am replacing a cv axle on a 92 accord. I got the old one out w/o problems, but I just cannot seem to manage to

lock the new one back into the tranny. The splined end goes in 1/2 way and then seems to hit on something and not move any further. Is it a matter of pure "force" or is there some "trick" to get it into the tranny? Is a hammer necessary?

Thanks!

Reply to
1bolt_atatime

I've been collecting information on doing the exact thing (but then on a 95 integra). The following is not from actually doing it, but just reading about it:

Apparently, the C-clip that sits at the end of the axle tends to drop where it gets into the way. The suggestion is to hold it in place with a little dab of grease, just long enough so you can seat it properly.

Again, have never done this on a Honda, so am just collecting info at the moment. Perhaps others have other suggestions.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Don't use a hammer! Instead, put the inner joint into the transmission and then put the outer joint into the hub but DON'T reconnect the ball joint. Next, grab the brake roter/hub assembly and use it to push the axle in such that the clip ring on the inner joint is seated. It usually just takes a light to moderate amount of force swinging the brake rotor/hub assembly inwards. You should be able to feel the inner joint pop into place. Visually inspect the installation to make sure that it's seated correctly and then reassemble the ball joint and anything else you may have disassembled.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

As Eric says, don't force it! Strong pushes are sufficient unless something is out of whack. The mass of the axle makes banging it a bad idea. The C clip may be sprung (you're supposed to use a new one, but I often neglect that part) or the spline part may be too long (wrong part).

First, if you haven't done it yet, lay the two axles (old and new) side by side on a newspaper pad. Compare each part carefully to verify the two are really the same. It's really sad to get everything nearly together and find the steering knuckle won't go on.

Otherwise, if the clip is sprung from being worked over the end of the spline too roughly work it back off and reshape it with your fingers. Work it on carefully and try again.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I have done this on a couple of my Hondas one of which was I think a 92. I always look at the gap between the case and the flange before I take one of these out, so I can make sure I have it all the way in when I reinstall.

It has been a while since I did one because I an now too lazy to do these. But, as I recall, that little circlip on the end has to slide in and engage a groove inside the case. (I f you have messed yours up, get a new one, they aren't reusable) Now it takes some modest amount of force to overcome the initial frictionand to get that clip to snap in. I push hard against the end of the axel as far in as it will go. Then I have a small rawhide mallet, probably only 6 ounces, and smacked on the outermost end of the axel just as hard as I could---remember that's not so hard with a small mallet. In each Honda that was sufficient.

HTH.

1bolt_atatime wrote:

Hi Remco:

Thanks for the reply.

I tried all suggestions plus some others, and...

I finally managed to seat the CV axle properly. As it turned out, hammering twice on a piece of wood contacting the end of the boot closer to the transmission was the onl y thing did the trick. I made sure to put a piece of cloth between the wood and the boot to prevent damage.

Regards,

Marcus

Reply to
1bolt_atatime