95 Corolla right CV axle reassembly problem

I got the old axle out with relatively little problem, but the new axle won't go in all the way. It stops with about a half or quarter inch left to go.

Is this a problem I can solve just by using a bigger hammer or is there a trick to this?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Reply to
jeff

There is a snap ring on the end of the axle that goes into the differential. When installed, make sure that the open portion of the ring is on the bottom. Should go right in.

Reply to
qslim

Thanks for your suggestion. I figured there must be some kind of trick to it. I'll try it that way. I think it's the one thing I *haven't* tried. :)

Reply to
jeff

Ok, I tried this and it still won't go in. Any other thoughts?

Reply to
jeff

Well, assuming you know that the part is correct, the snap ring deal is the only real roadblock you should have. I usually set it up as I previously described and use the axle itself as a kind of slide hammer to knock it in to the diff, if that makes sense. Get it splined inside the diff, then give a little pull on the wheel end of the axle and knock it forward. If that doesn't work I pick up the ol' dead blow plastic-faced hammer, have someone hold the shaft up and solid to the diff, and give it a good whack. It takes two people sometimes.

Reply to
qslim

I tried that exact technique you described and still no go. I'm pretty sure the part is correct, but I'm giving up and taking it (towing it) to a mechanic.

I appreciate the suggesti> Well, assuming you know that the part is correct, the snap ring deal is the

Reply to
jeff