Do mechanics get colon cancer?

A mechanic neighbor has symptoms of colon cancer. (Stool bleeding.) When ever he eats hamburgers, hot-dogs or anything that requires his greasy hands, he does not wash his hands after making greasy car or truck repairs.

People know he would catch cancer for doing this and they warn him. He rubs his hands on rags before touching food. After a meal you can see more grease being rub off. One other mechanic dies after his intestines completely fuse together. Is it possible to catch cancer from our greasy hands?

Reply to
Tibur Waltson

Mom was right. Wash your hands before you eat.

Reply to
Stephen Bigelow

No. But I someone who got syphyllis from a welder. But this was a guy, not the machine.

Reply to
Tom Burns

Symptoms of colon cancer? Interesting.

Rectal bleeding can mean about 100 other things besides colon cancer.

If he's bleeding from colon cancer, then it's about curtains for him.... and it's probably spread to the liver.

Used motor oil is a carcinogen. It's possible that his greasy meals have contributed to colon cancer, but I doubt it.

Reply to
Clem

Thanks for warning us all about this danger of fusing our intestines together. I was under the impression that all that grease, especially any STP, would make the intestines so slippery that they would pop right out in the toilet when you took a dump. But your fusion theory makes more sense because then the fecal material cannot evacuate and starts to back up. I know several mechanics with the disease.

Reply to
MaxAluminum

Colon cancer is caused by eating hamburgers and hot dogs. With or without greasy hands.

Reply to
Matt

But it's often easy to check for colon cancer and this should be done urgently. A few weeks or months delay could make a cure more difficult.

Plenty of people have been cured from colon cancer, and some are cured even after it's spread to the liver. Me for example. I had a colon tumor removed 10 years ago and a large liver tumor removed 8 years ago, and no problems since.

There are carcinogens everywhere. One third of all people will get cancer at some time in their lives (although they may die of other causes first), and a regular check may help catch cancer early enough to get rid of it.

To reduce the chance of colon cancer it's best to avoid eating lots of red meat or burnt meat, and it's a good idea to eat plenty of fruit and vegetables.

Reply to
survivor

Good to hear. Do you still go for check-ups?

Reply to
madiba

Hell, he's got less and less to check each year!

Ed

Reply to
Ed Price

I have a checkup once a year now. There is a blood test (CEA) which can indicate the presence of cancer in some people, and for me the CEA test worked well, as the reading started to double every month just before the liver met was found. Three-quarters of the liver was removed. The liver grows back in a few months, my liver function was normal after 3 months. CEA has remained at about 0.5 for 8 years. I now have a normal and very active life, e.g. climbing mountains and recently kayaked 40 kilometres.

Reply to
survivor

Try to find a mechanic that washes his hands AFTER eating burgers and hot dogs. Otherwise squirrels and mice will be attracted to your engine compartment and might damage the wiring.

Reply to
MaxAluminum

of the topic, but you live long enough avioding the other diseases, what is left is colon cancer to get as a smoker get lung cancer if not killed by accident. One should not put a pair of healthy lung in the grave. Its wastefull for all quotes there is an equally opposite quote

Reply to
Askari

It's really not far off topic. If you want to maximize your vehicle longevity you preserve the main components as long as possible. The idea is to get to a point where everything is used up at the same time and you have not put lots of money into it.

Reply to
MaxAluminum

I'm glad to hear you are doing well.

I wasn't speaking purely literally though.

It would seem that grease on the skin in high enough amounts to cause colon cancer when residue of it is eaten, then you'd have skin cancer from all of it on your hands all the time.

I agree, the key to cancer survival is catching it early. It seems they'd have a body scan for cancer by now.... Colonoscopy just doesn't sound very pleasant.

FWIW, if someone have stage 4 colon cancer.... they'd better write their will. :-(

Reply to
Clem

Many colonoscopy patients are put asleep at the time. I like to watch the TV monitor from the scope to be assured that there are no further problems. It's quite painless. The worst bit is having to drink about

10 litres of salty water beforehand.

Writing a will is a good idea before any operation. But stage 4 colon cancer can still be cured. I was diagnosed as stage 3 since a number of lymph nodes were also affected, but it had already gone to the liver at the time, so really I was stage 4, and I'm fine now after 8 years.

I now try to convince people to take the treatments offered to them and not give up, and to have odd symptoms investigated.

While we are on the nasty subject of cancer I assume everyone knows to not breathe in the asbestos dust from your brakes, and to not blow it all around your workshop with an air hose?

Reply to
survivor

Well - MRI's are getting better all the time. It's just that having human beings scan the slices that an MRI takes isn't as effective as we'd like it to be. Until we develop an automated system to look for scan anomalies it isn't going to happen. But it's coming.

I watched my fathers 2nd wife go through colon cancer. It ultimately killed her and she had caught it early, being an RN and all. Cancer of the colon, liver or lungs is usually a death sentence. Remission is possible in a very small number of cases. And once if it's metastatic, forget it.

Reply to
noname

Very well put. And congratulations! I sound cynical because stage 4 colon cancer took a close family member of mine. But it was advanced stage 4. It's good to hear of someone making it through it though. I did say 98% ;-)

Reply to
Clem

Not true. It depends on the kind of cancer. I had testicular cancer about over 10 years ago and it had metastized and was pretty advanced, spread throughout my body and all that. But I reacted well to chemo and was fully cured.

You should never tell people that any kind of cancer is hopeless. One of the most important things in the cure is a determination to fight the disease, and people that believe it's hopeless will never have that. Sure some people will fight and lose, but they will feel far better about themselves if they go down fighting than if they cop a negative attitude that it's hopeless.

When I was diagnosed one of the things I remember is that no doctor ever told me that I was going to die or that I even had a good chance to die. In fact I had more negativity from family members than from the doctors, all of whom told me to my face that I had an excellent chance of survival. Then a few years later all the family members told me that at the same time the doctors had been telling me I was definitely going to survive, they were telling the family that I had only a tiny chance of surviving.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Very true and thats why I am so afraid going ahead with my car deal as I described in frozen camshaft topic posted.

Reply to
David Askari