where do you get..

sheet steel and the like from?

dumb question I know, but having now acquired a welder, I can get the Series back to the house and rebuild the body bits that need doing, but I havent got the first clue if there are better places than others to get supplies.

I'm in Medway if anyone knows any good local supply places

Cheers

Si

Reply to
GrnOval

Probably cheapest going to a scrappy and looking for flat panels! At least you can practice on them if you're not totally up on welding yet.

A friend has repaired lots of bodywork using sheet steel he knicked from the server cabinets in the large IT datacentre he works in, lots of doors just standing around in a corner not being used ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

IIUC, many series vehicles and triallers were 'repaired' with superfluous roadsigns. Could do worse.

Reply to
GbH

First time i've ever gone MIG, always did OxyAcet in the past

: A friend has repaired lots of bodywork using sheet steel he knicked : from the server cabinets in the large IT datacentre he works in, lots : of doors just standing around in a corner not being used ;-)

Hmm, now theres an idea - might have to go into the office and see what we've got ;-)

Speaking of welding bits, has anyone seen that funky torch thing from austrailia? it purports to be able to cut like plasma, and use less gas than normal because of the way the gases are mixed in a pre-chamber - The HenRob2000 is the piece of kit. Seems to be a mixed bag of "v expensive for what you get" and "want one"

Thoughts?

Si

Reply to
GrnOval

There is that - I've had my eye on a nice mesh door (from a Dell cabinet I think) - plenty uses spring to mind for a good strong mesh on a Land Rover :)

yep - I'm still using up the remains of a filing cabinet for the odd repair job.

Reply to
William Tasso

Anywhere that sells body panels will stock sheet steel.

-- Andy

Reply to
Fuzzy

On or around Mon, 10 Jul 2006 16:08:49 +0100, "GrnOval" enlightened us thusly:

local blacksmith type bloke, round here.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Ive got the removable metal sides off a couple of washing machines for bodywork jobs. My thicker bits of metal for chassis repairs came from the skip where my mate used to work (making metal shelves). If you can find and engineering or metalworking company that will let you raid the metal skip its really useful!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Ring a local sheet metal works and ask them where they get theres. I got a sheet about 8 by 4 ft several years ago for bodywork... must still have about half left. It's much better for welding than trying to clean off an old scabby sheet of something. That said Percys area of bulkhead around the bell housing has a few locker makers logos riveted on ;-)

The 8 by 4 I got rolled up nice to go in the boot. Take a couple of ratchet straps with you then get yourself down to machine mart and buy a nibbler to fasten to your drill, worth their weight in gold they are.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Or ask if you can pick bits out of their skips, that's what I do, lots of good stuff is skipped for recycling but they get nowt for it so don't usually care.

Greg

Reply to
Greg