Dying for a Chevy Volt, but....

Ah. The area first colonised, hence the most civilised:-)

I expect they still have wagon trains in the midwest. Or they remember them at least.

Reply to
harry

I don't have any pie-in-the-sky idea that the electric car will solve the world's problems. Whatever gave you that idea? Beats the hell out of me how they're gonna generate all the electricity. My solution would be to build a shitload of nuke powerplants in Alaska and send the power South. I doubt that will happen but I don't believe that the technical problems are too big to solve. We built a frickin' interstate highway system out of practically nothing, didn't we? Now that must have seemed like an impossible task at the beginning.

Reply to
dsi1

I expect horse wagon drivers said much the same thing once upon a time when ICE engined trucks appeared.

Reply to
harry

The guys that complain about the deficiencies of the electric car must think that the gas-powered internal combustion engine vehicles sprang up fully developed in the early 20th century. The reality is that it took about 50 years to get it right. Those guys deserve to drive horse carts. :-)

Reply to
dsi1

True more of the USA than Europe.

Reply to
harry

One Kwh takes me five miles in my car. Optimum conditions.

Reply to
harry

In mainstream America, I don't see that airplanes idea taking off.

I can imagine golf carts. I've seen enough of those.

.

I saw a TV show about a palce in California were most residents own planes, have garages to put them in, with streets wide enough to get them home from the landing strip.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Who pays for the subsidies? What gives you the moral authority to force other citizens to pay for Volt drivers cars? Using the force of the IRS to take my money to pay for someone else's car?

Why would you want a plug in a parking lot? Plug goes on the car, socket supplies the power. Martin sounds like a dreamer with little grounding in or connection to reality. He's in for a shock.

Lets take a couple hundred bucks from Martin to help buy my next work van, shall we?

Christ>

Who pays for the electricity they use?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Can't eat it, wear it, or shoot it. Gold is the perfect example of indirect survival.

.

Gold has no value when it's all you can do to survive.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I know a Lib that sucks up all the subsidies he can get and brags about it. Solar electric panels, geothermal heating, two Prius's and a cash for clunkers deal are what I know about. He gets pissed when I point out he lives off the government teat.

But, the best part is that he is affluent and brags about that too ;)

Reply to
Frank

They certainly do but the Moonbats who think everyone should have a solar cell, windmill powered vehicle that will take the place of what exists right now deserve a padded cell. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Why build the nuclear power plants in Alaska and waste all that power in long electrical transmission lines? There are safe designs for nuclear power plants that would make them good neighbors, much better neighbors than coal fired power plants. Perhaps one day highways will be modified to transfer power to electric vehicles while in motion which would keep the batteries charged for trips off the highway. It may be SciFi now but I recall when cellphones were science fiction. I really do believe electric vehicles will be wonderful given time to develop and build up a demand by the population but Moonbats are trying to force them on the citizenry before they're ready for prime time. That will not work as can be seen by all the "Green" energy companies that vaporized after sucking up so much taxpayer money that was showered upon them with great fanfare by the ignorant morons in charge of the country right now. Don't you just adore The Emperor's new clothes? O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Try again I was tallking of the original VW >> Rabbit

Reply to
Attila Iskander

Oh no, I know there's a difference. I know The VW Rabbit wasn't in The U.S. in 1967 which is why I mentioned the VW Beetle but I was off on the weight. Someone pointed out that the Beetle was only a bit heavier than the R10. The R10 is a rear engine, rear drive while I believe the Rabbit is a front engine, front wheel drive? When you write that they're in the same class, would that be the same weight class or mileage class? O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Your argument that electric cars could be so simple that even Gunner could build one is a huge fail. You don't even need to consider the technical side. The fact is that the majority of RCM posters pay someone else to change their oil. It's crazy to think the same people can build any entire car, much less an EV. Big projects take real dedication. Usenet posting tends to be a way to avoid that kind of commitment. I think it's fair to say that a lot of RCM posters would be at their productive dedication limit with an IKEA project. Now if you're talking unproductive dedication then sure, RCM posters could go a thousand rounds TALKING about their preferred weapon to destroy unfinished IKEA projects, why they prefer freedom meat balls over communist meat balls, ad infinitum.

No, there's no practical difference. You're both promoting things that aren't impossible, but are so unlikely that it makes no sense to bring them up. This being Usenet though, if the thread goes on long enough we'll read that vehicle nuke reactors can be protected with lead airbags.

But the reality here is that if someone can afford a new Sonata, MX-5, Silverado, Impala, Wrangler, or Sante Fe, then they can afford a Volt.

Yeah I know that most people don't believe their lyin calculators, but then most people believe in angels. They're proud that nobody can hornswaggle them outa that notion, or into an EVil.

Reply to
whoyakidding's ghost

This sounds like a good idea. We're gonna need more horse carts and padded cells.

Reply to
dsi1

Solar energy is pretty popular over here. Unfortunately, Hawaiian Electric has to charge more for electricity to make up for the lost revenues caused by solar water heaters and photo voltaic systems. That's the breaks. :-)

Reply to
dsi1

No, but they complained that the noisy engines scared their horses.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Only if they can pay for the padding. Otherwise, let them beat their heads against the cast concrete walls. Just hose out the cell when they're finished.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

FOol. The IR losses would waste most of that power, and Nukes in Alaska have a very poor track record. The one at Ft. Greeley was a disaster. They filled the structures with cement to seal in the radiation, and to keep thieves from trying to steal contaminated metal.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell