Dying for a Chevy Volt, but....

No argument there. When the dealer told me $5k for the repair of the display I was wondering what we got into. A quick internet search found a used display and I found a really good cheap mechanic. If it hadn't been for that the Prius would be a bad memory.

I'm not really sure about that. Most hybrids don't perform that well on mileage but the Prius is an exception. On one cross country trip we averaged 75 mpg with the Prius. From that point, I was sold on them.

I'd put your battery worries to rest.

Reply to
gonjah

You aren't factoring in that the cost of gasoline over the lifetime of the batteries will escalate far faster than the price of electricity

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Don't be silly, the primitive automobiles were few in number and the highway system didn't exist at the time not to mention the relatively tiny population in those days. Electric vehicles will be wonderful if the infrastructure is allowed to develop and evolve slowly and with the demands of the market the same way the internal combustion engine based transportation infrastructure did. Moonbats believe the present transportation infrastructure can be scrapped and changed overnight. If you remember history, our politicians didn't use the newfangled gasoline powered automobiles and airplanes until the technology matured as much as the rail and steamship travel had become and widely used safely by a large number of people. Last week I had to spend a few days working at the Northern end of the state which was a two hour drive. There is no windmill and solar cell powered vehicle in existence that would have made it possible for me and JH to transport ourselves and a half ton of tools and equipment to the job site and back. So my assertion of the moonbattery of the Progressive Liberal Leftist Commiecrat Freaks still stands. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

And what infinite well of energy does electrical power come from? Just because it always comes out of the wall when you plug into it doesn't mean that there isn't some generating station out there burning _something_ to deliver the bulk of it to you.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

They are registered, though I don't know about insurance. If that's a problem it will similarly be "solved" (it hasn't been for cars, either).

Why would any sane person buy a limited range car? That's *nuts*.

Reply to
krw

The new model carriages were not forced on anyone. There *IS* a difference. When economics wins, everyone wins. When it takes a back seat, everyone loses.

Reply to
krw

I can follow a post written by a sane person, just fine. You *DO* need the incremental cost, since you're already paying the fixed costs, whether you use the energy for transportation or not. You really are dumb.

Your numbers are *lies*. I can't help it if you cry when I point out that fact.

Because that's what liars do. You lie.

Hell no, I wouldn't live with anyone as stupid as you are and in case you haven't noticed, I don't like liars.

Reply to
krw

I feel sorry for you. ...for the electric rates, too.

Reply to
krw

Not to mention that the new-fangled autos had clear advantages over the horse and buggy. With electric cars the pitch relies on, yeah they cost a lot more, even with huge tax subsidies and they don't go very far, but folks should buy them to reduce their reliance on fossil fuels. Hence, sales are pretty much confined to rich hippies. Did they even have hippies back in 1900?

Reply to
trader4

Why do people buy short ladders?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

His point was the autos rely on oil for a fuel source and are responsible for using a whole lot of it. Very little electricity is generated from oil, at least here in the USA. It's only a few percent. Coal is the largest source, followed by nat gas. And there is a lot more of that available, enough for hundreds of years.

Reply to
trader4

...and after that the car is junk. BTW, how many years? We're not talking about a high-mileage car, here. If so, there are far better solutions.

Reply to
krw

Talking about electric cars with a mate that works in the engine development industry recently. He had a similar chat with another of his colleagues that is very knowledgable about electric cars and hybrids and he said the studies have been done and there is not enough electric capacity out there on the planet to support all electric cars or even close to it so a mixed fuel economy is likely to be around for some time. He also touched on other vehicles such as trucks and other large motive power where there is no practical alternative to diesel at the moment.

Reply to
David Billington

======================

The only one plucking numbers out of the air appears to be you. You haven't tested an electric car. You have not measured a thing. If electric cars really aren't getting about

3.5 cents a mile based on 11c/kwh electric, and are actually 4X worse than that as you claim, then it should be very easy for you to do some googling and prove it. Lots of folks have tested these cars. I gave you Consumer Reports which came up with the above metric, and you claim they don't know what they are doing. Then go check out what CarandDriver, Motortrend, RoadnTrack say. I'm sure they've done testing.

I'm no big fan of electric car, but neither am I a fan of folks just pissing in the dark, too lazy to find the actual test results.

Reply to
trader4

Oh Oh, now you've done it. You've put logic into the equation.

Reply to
ChairMan

They are -all- limited unless you find an open gas station. I quickly became aware of that when driving through the mountains on a motorcycle, and then during the Carter gasoline f**kup.

I was used to having 24-hour gas stations but couldn't find any out in the country away from 24-hour jobs, like hospitals.

Since retiring I hardly go through 5 gallons a month, mostly for grocery shopping. I could use a second cheap vehicle with a 10 mile range as long as it has a good cargo capacity.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Because they're a cheap solution to a problem. Short-range cars are

*not*.
Reply to
krw

That's true, as far as it goes, but the infrastructure isn't there to allow a significant number of cars to switch. ...and there are no plans to put it there because the same people who are insisting on electric vehicles are standing in the way of more generation.

Reply to
krw

+1 +1 +1

...and whining about someone else's decision.

Reply to
krw

It doesn't take much planning to avoid such situations.

The plan is to not get in such situations. ;-)

...and you are how big of a market? You never go on a vacation or anywhere?

Reply to
krw