Dying for a Chevy Volt, but....

16c here in Central NJ.

Not sure what you expect. It's Con Ed.

Reply to
Dan Espen

He didn't come up with it.

Wes Groleau

You see a lot of people with nothing but a golf cart in some large retirement communities, They can go anywhere, including to their doctors on the carts. 'The Villages" is one of the largest, and you see a lot of golf carts, but very few cars.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

How far do you drive a ladder?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Nobody believes that the infrastructure can be developed overnight. The electric car will develop and mature like any new technology. Naysayers, as usual, will be proven shortsighted and wrong.

Sorry, I won't get sucked into some political rant. That's just a red herring anyway.

Reply to
dsi1

Economics does not take a backseat to anything or anybody. It always wins out.

Reply to
dsi1

Yup, I think it is the tiny tires on the Prius that cause some ride and noise problems.

On the other hand, the Honda Civic hybrid is an amazingly quiet car, and the handling is fine for a smaller car. if you insist on driving a boat, then pay the fuel bill. I've driven smaller cars for ages, and feel fine in it. I've had a few emergency maneuvers to make in the last 4 years, and was DAMN surprised at how well it did on those, too. I drove an MR2 for a while, and while the Honda is not quite in the same handling class, it comes surprisingly close!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

.

======================

Tch. It isnot 85Kwh You don't drive at full throttle all the time, you wouldn't get more than ten miles down the road.

Reply to
harry

You charge your car up at home at night Duf. So there are charging stations everywhere. The problem is; range and the time it takes to charge from a domestic outlet.

Reply to
harry

Electric cars use around half/one third the energy needed for conventional cars. That energy is much cheaper too. It could come from nuclear power or renewable.

Reply to
harry

Yes that's what happened back in 2008. And in the 1930's. You got a short memory. Capitalism destroyed the economy.

Reply to
harry

Back in 1900 cars were only for the rich too. Everybody else was a hippy but not by choice.

Reply to
harry

I'm surprised that Obama isn't pushing Tesla's 'Brodcast Power' BS.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

00, bob haller wrote:

They already do CNG for cars in Bolivia. Have done for years.

Reply to
harry

I think he is likely a majority. He fies somewhere to his vacation.

Reply to
harry

Sure, keep buying patched up junk. Do you really think that 'refurbished battery' will last anywhere near as long as a new one?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

They all smoked dope and wouldn't work?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

They had little money. And no cars.

Reply to
harry

I got it, I got it.... this krw asshole is Plimpton, THE legendary venerealated asshole of multiple ngs..... Howzit goin, Plimpie?? Why'd you give up yer moniker?

And, and once again, you are fullashit, and haller is right. The night-time grid could easily accommodate the initial transition to electric.... mebbe not the WHOLE transition, suddenly, but certainly the transition at its current rate, and rate-to-come for a while.

WTF would you think otherwise??

Reply to
Existential Angst

Here's my idea. Check this

Hundreds of thousands of posts by Chevy Volt owners. You'll get info from those who actually know about the car. There's probably Leaf and Tesla forums too.

Here's my opinion. Consider car cost, gasoline cost, electricity cost, and your daily miles driven, then figure out if you want the car. With the tax credit, the Volt is less than $1000 over median price paid for new cars in the U.S. With my daily commute, and other driving - except vacation - I'd probably visit a gas station once a year And my electric rates are really low. That's all sweet. I could use the Volt for my yearly vacations and get about 37mpg with no charges from a cord. But I would probably rent a car instead. People do drive the Volt cross country, but I'd prefer to keep engine hours low. Might be wrong about it, but it seems to me that running the engine constantly is against design intent. I'd love to have one. Not caring about gasoline price is sweet. But I'm a car cheapskate. Fix my own, and never paid more than $6k for a car. If I felt I had the money to pay $30k for a car, as many people do, I'd buy a Volt.

Vic Smith