Engine clatter when cold or sitting for a few minutes

I'm back with my 1985 Corolla, RWD, 1.6L SOHC...

Car drives fine, has adequate power when it's cold. However, it makes a racket when its cold or has been sitting for about 10 or more minutes, even if it's warm. The noise increases with throttle application, and goes away after a few minutes of normal driving.

Any ideas? Noisy valves or lifters? Exhaust gasket leak?

Thanks!

Reply to
Masospaghetti

Don't know exactly what sort of lifter arrangement you have on the SOHC on a Toyota. SOHC and DOHC engines may have cam followers instead of lifters and, if so, as long as the clearances are adjusted properly and you have lubrication, there is not much else you can do.

Do you know if your valve lash is adjustable, and if so have you set them lately?

Oil pressure delay can be another issue when an engine is cold or drained down.

My wife's car makes a bit of noise when it is cold, and it seems to be associated with the air path into the FI plenum, sort of like the old choke heat mechanisms. I havent been any further with it when I found that it seems to be natural to the operation of this car.

Reply to
<HLS