F-450 Engine Swap?

Here's a question for the group. I am buying a '92 F-450 wrecker in good condition to convert to a Gooseneck/5'th wheel hauler with a small sleeper cab added. (The dealer bought it just for the wrecker gear and only wants $1K for the truck...so it's a steal!). Will be hauling relatively heavy loads (dual car trailer, medium-to-large 5'th wheel RV trailer, etc. It's got a 7.5 liter (460?) gas engine and a Rockwell 10-speed manual transmission. I would have much preferred a 7.3 diesel with turbo. How difficult would it be to drop a 7.3 (or even a CAT or Cummins) in this truck and keep the tranny? Or should I just suck it up and live with the gas bill? I much prefer a diesel, but the price is so low I can't pass it up...Options on this rig include the "super cooling system" and 4.63 rears. Any wisdom from wiser heads is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
R.F. Burns

I can't help but think you would be many dollars ahead by keeping the

460 gas. For the money you will spend purchasing a diesel engine and then installing it, you can buy lots and lots of gas. Even if you have to rebuild the 460, I imagine you will be farther ahead keeping it.

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
Reply to
Matt Mead

Agree'd. The hassle and cost of swapping a gas to diesel engine would be very high also. You might as well also buy a used diesel f-450 to use for a parts truck and it would probably cost 10 times more that the one you're looking at now. :)~ Live with the 460. It's a good engine.

Reply to
Mark

For $1000 you can't go wrong. You should be able to easily turn it for more then that if it doesn't work out. The 460 is a great engine. Don't be shocked if your single digit fuel mileage is closer to 5 then 10 while pulling, with those gears. How many miles? You can look forward to an engine rebuild anywhere from

100,000 - 250,000 on the 460. Many people claim allot lower then I have experienced. I have one that is at 145,000 miles right now and running strong with over 50 PSI of oil pressure at all times (Just under 70 at a cold start-up) with 10-40 valvoline.

For the cost and aggravation of "swapping" to a turbo diesel setup you would be better off buying a truck that came originally as a diesel. Keep in mind that the diesel engine and parts are much more expensive then gas. I don't know where you live but that swap might be a real bitch come emissions testing time.

Reply to
351CJ

"351CJ" wrote in news:umcJd.7851$Hg6.6283@trnddc09:

I was hoping I could ask you some questions about the 460? I have a 1978 Club-Wagon with 460. Has 94k on it and was running strong.

Suddenly it started to run terribly rough. I went through and discovered possibly two different cylinders with spark issues. Cleaned everything up, replaced the plugs and wires and it ran smooth - but had a tapping noise from the rear of the engine.

Found a shop that said I needed a new motor, $3k installed for a refurbished 460 ! Eventually I got more out of them about the noise which obviously had worried me and they felt and I agreed it was the lifters and valves.

They quoted $795 plus tax for the job (they pissed me off when they called back the next day to add $60 for gaskets - duh ! if you are pulling something apart that hasa 27 year odl gasket of course it should be replaced and part ofthe original estimate price).

Anyway, got it back and they warrantied the work. Runs fairly smooth and quiet at lower RPMS and low loads, they adjusted the timing and carb "for free" and I am not really pleased with that.

It knocks and pings with a more open throttle, though I drove up a large hill slowly and the added load didn't seem to affect it.

It has more of a "gurgle" than it did before it acted up, but that could be holes in the exhaust or whatever, but it NEVER knocked an pinged before.

Ideas?

Reply to
Steph

Well it sounds like you should use a different mechanic. Who knows what they did or did not do to your engine, ignition system, or fuel system. You may be able to address the pinging by retarding your timing. I haven't checked for you application but it should be in the neighborhood of 12 degrees BTDC...

Reply to
351CJ