Erratic electrical problem with 1996 Chrysler T&C

I have a 1996 Towne & Country which had been a work horse and it has over 150,000 miles on it.
There are a couple of erratical electrical problems:
Both the horne and the turn signal would stop working occassionally and I had checked the fuse box to make sure the fuses were not burnt out. But it will work again, maybe the next time I started the car. In other words, it works and it stops working and I couldn't figure why.
I want to add that I only drive this car 2 miles a day back and forth post office.
Anyone here has any insight into this erratic electrical problem?
Thanks.
Alex

When several things are wrong, look for the things that they have in common. That includes some multipin connectors inside the steering column, and some grounds, I bet. --scott

Do I have to take the steerling column out to locate the multi-pin contact? Thanks.

At least some of them, you will have to take the cover off the steering column. Grab cable harnesses and pull on them. Wiggle them around. One of them may be intermittent. --scott

Great way to cause destruction and create many more problems. Go to the library and find a service manual with wiring diagrams and use that to trace out circuit with a millimeter. Learn to diagnose rather than trial and error.

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Does that car have an airbag? If so, I'd get the shop manual, read and understand the part about working around it and proceed with caution (or not at all).
I'll bet that it isn't too difficult to get a meter test probe into the wrong place and set that thing off.
what's a home? do all your turn signals quit or ??
On Aug 14, 4:28 pm, snipped-for-privacy@sasktel.net wrote:

I meant HORN. thanks
dmkAlex wrote:

Do they both stop working at the same time? As for the turn signals, do they not illuminate or not blink? Front? Rear? Left? Right? What are the brake lights doing when the turn signals aren't working? What do the 4 ways do when the turn signals aren't working?
I am not sure about the horn is related or not. The horn could have stopped because the horn was blown. I'll have to check it out.
The turn signal is the one that has been erratically misbehaving for about a year now. One day it will work just fine. The other, the signal both outside and inside the dash board just don't work.
I read the book regarding the fuse box. The fuse is for both the turn signal and the hazard flasher, which always works even when the turn signal decided not to work.
I have giggle the turn lever and it doesn't seem to have any effect. The turn lever also control the high beam, which works fine even when the turn signal is not working.

dmkAlex wrote:

Turn signal switch. The clockspring is a common failure point for the horn. It can be checked easily while fixing the turn signal switch.

Here is a link that might be of interest to the OP. http://www.allpar.com/fix/clockspring.html
dmkAlex wrote: 1996 Chrysler Towne & Country 150k Miles
Both the horn and the turn signal stop working occasionally. But they may work again the next time I start the car. I checked the fuses and they are okay. I only drive this car 2 miles a day back and forth to the post office. Anyone here has any insight into this erratic electrical problem? ____________________________________________________
At that age and with little use, the contacts for the turn signal switch and the horn switch may just be accumulating a little corrosion that is not being cleaned up by use.
Try exercising the turn signal switch by moving it through its range of motion a lot of times, and exercising the horn wiper ring by turning the steering wheel back and forth a lot of times. If there is access, shoot some spray contact cleaner into the switches at the same time.
Good luck.
Rodan.

One thing these likely all have in common is the ignition swtich. Next time the problem happens, try moving the key just tiny bits in each direction -- It may be settling into grooves that aren't allowing full contact. With that mileage and those short trips, that switch is seeing a lot of use.
Pete
Thank you all for the input.
I just found out that Chrysler had a recall on the clockspring which could be the cause of the problems I described. Called my dealer where I bought the vehicale 12 years ago. They will be replacing the clockspring and hope it will solve all the problems.
I will post the result.
Thanks again.
They replaced the clockspring under recall warranty and solved the problem of the horn (also the cruise control).
They said it didn't solve the problem of the turn signal. They charged me $95 to do dignostic and told me that "trace and found internal open in body computer, junctin block assy". They would need to replace these two items which would cost $1,000 in parts and $200 in labor.
Needless to say, I am not going to spend $1,200 on a car with 152,000 miles on it. But they said that the signal is now working. And it had continued to work for the past 3 days. I hope it will last till next month when I need to bring it in for inspection. Then it will be set for another year. And who knows if this car will last another year.
But, it had been declard dead by a dealer 3 years ago when I took it in with the problem of rough running and engineer tended to stall at the lights. They said the compression in some cyclinders were too low and told me it was not worth fixing it. But after I took it back in, the problem mysterously went away and here, three years later, knock on wood, it is still running.
Do you know of any jerry rack device I can attach as turn signal. How about those turn signal assembly that people put on the towed trailer?
Thanks.
Not trying to sound like an idiot but for that price and an intermittent problem I would use manual turn signals like sticking my hand out the window and for 1200.00 even in a rain storm. My 98 Chrysler T&C has an intermittent problem where it will not start but if I rap on the top of the dash in a certain spot hard enough it will. I just don't have the money to spend on a new instrument panel. Greyhound

I couldn't care less if the turn signal works or not because I only drive it 2 miles a day between my office and the post office.
The issue is getting passed inspection which requires the turn signal to working.
The turn signal is still erratic. It was off whole week last week and the last couple of days it was OK.
The inspection will be done in a couple of months. I looked into how to jerry rack a system in case it fails inspection.
I went to AutoZone and found the following:
4x external flashers that I can attach to the four corners A on-off-on toggle switch
I am thinking mounting the toggle switch on the dashboard. Run the power from the cigarette lighter.
How to run the wire from the front of the car to the interior?
Just a follow up on the development.
I had to turn in my leased car and used the T&C for a couple of weeks more than the 2 miles normally I drove. The more frequent use of the vehicle seemed to make the turn signals working again. I think the diagnose some had given earlier about the infrequent usage causing the problem was right.
I took the car in for inspection and it passed.
It will be another year before I had to worry about it again.
Thanks.