1996 T&C Tail Light (Only) Failure

I have a 1996 T&C that the tail lights have suddenly stopped working. Turn signal, brake lights, reverse lights and hazards all work, only the tail lights don't work. It is on both the left and the right sides. I have checked the bulbs (good), continuity of the tail light assembly (good), fuses under hood (good), and fuses under dash (good). I also checked voltages coming through the harness and find that I am not getting any voltage for tail lights, all other functions tested with voltage. Is there a relay that could possibly be malfunctioning, or perhaps a fusible link that may have blown. Any help with this would be greatly aprreciated!

Edge1960

Reply to
Edge1960

Hi Edge...

Not a mechanic, just an old retired electrical guy, so take what I say with a grain of salt... :)

I suggest that there's zero possibility of your tail lamps being fused separately from other running lights, and absolutely no chance of there being a fusible link.

What's almost certainly happened is that you've somehow managed to break a wire, or less likely pull apart a connector.

(It's vacation time, have you loaded up with luggage and stuff, putting it in and taking it out a little roughly?)

Anyway, see if you can find the harness that comes from the front of the car, and check it thoroughly for physical damage. Where you see unprotected wires, run your thumb and forefinger along them, trying gently to bend them into a little U shape. If the wire inside the insulation is broken, it will bend much more easily at that point, and you will notice it.

Check connectors, too.

You said only the tail lights, but it might be interesting and helpful to check once again - see if the license plate light(s) illuminate.

Good luck, and take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

I believe there are 3 fuses that could cause no taillamps. fuse #6 of the PDC under the hood. Fuse # 4 and #1 of the Junction block under the dash.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower