Ford does it *again* (more fires)

I'd say it's unbelievable, but it's not. Ford's got a long and, uh, glowing track record of this kind of stupid shit. What's novel about this one is the cause: this time it's not poorly-designed alternators or poorly-designed ignition switches or poorly-designed transmission parking pawls or poorly-designed fan clutches or poorly-designed gas tanks causing Fords to be deathboxes. This time, it's the cruise control deactivation switch that causes parked, unattended, switched-off Fords to self-immolate.

Yishk.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I guess I haven't run across this specific Ford brake switch but it sounds like it measures *brake fluid pressure* -- assuming that the report is accurate. If this is true, why don't they use a momentary NO switch on the brake pedal (mechanically) like everyone else? And I'm not trying to sound smarter than Ford engineers, but seriously, to activate the brake lights, signal the ECM of braking, and/or cut cruise operation -- I would much rather monitor brake pedal motion. It would be fine and dandy to have a pressure transducer AS WELL, for double checking purposes. If a transducer were to fail it would pose a low current, 5 volt threat to the brake fluid only with the key on verses a

12 volt 10-20 amp fused circuit hot at all times. What gives?

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Oddly enough every single car I own uses a pressure-type brake light switch, at least two of which have hot feeds all the time. Hardly-Ableson uses the exact same switch as the old Studebakers to this day. Usual failure mode of the switch is that the brake lights stop working, with no other ill effects.

Sounds to me like the problem is not with the concept but with Ford spec'ing (or accepting) an inferior quality product.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

No, the ignition switch is the primary unattended burn down device, the pressure switch is the backup for the ignition switch.

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan

///////// But GM is laying off workers ! Go figure.

"Fix it now or pay later"

Reply to
Headlight Oiler