Gas price up a $1 a gallon

This may have been originally true, but the general interpretation has changed a bit in the past couple centuries as the Supreme Court has in general expanded interpretation of the constitution. For example, non-white non-landowners are allowed to vote (although it did take an amendment for women to get the franchise).

I don't think you have any notion what an authoritarian central government actually is. The stuff you are complaining about are laws created by elected representatives who are put into place by the people. If you don't like the laws, vote the representatives out.

Now, mind you that you can make a good argument that the representatives are not effectively representing the people because they are instead driven by money, but that's not the argument you're making.

No, I don't. But I don't think that just because the internet is not mentioned in the constitution, the government shouldn't regulate or finance parts of it. The constitution was specifically made somewhat open-ended because the world changes. This is a good thing.

Common law extends it as well as amendments. You may not like the common law (and I certainly don't like a lot of it), but you can't just ignore it.

You might try going to a doctor sometime and just seeing how bad the system really is. Now, it's true that the new law doesn't address some of the most serious problems (for example, it's very expensive to become a doctor, and so there is a shortage of doctors, especially in lower-paying fields like primary care... and because there is a shortage of doctors, organizations are less apt to fire incompetent ones). And it doesn't address the ballooning cost of health care. But the free market has failed to do so, and it seems reasonable for the government to step in when the free market has not worked.

You may not feel this way. If so, feel free to vote. It's a pretty powerful thing, the vote.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Well, in the case of the national transportation system, the constitution does mention 'post roads', and 'provide for the national defense'. Roads are real handy for toting mail and moving troops and war material around. Ike's Autobahn even has 'and Defense' in the official program title.

Reply to
aemeijers

That's a good point, I had forgotten about that. I think 'post roads' might even be possible to stretch as far as the internet too.

The truth is, we have had an awful lot of both good and bad things financed under the name of defense.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

It hasn't any thing to do whit the president. The energy company's have bought and paid for our government and they will continue to use it as they see fit. Over 2 years ago they started permanently closing their older refineries stating that they are unprofitable to operate. Wait until the economy improves and watch them increase the profits by billions again with the refinery bottleneck.

***************** Thank You snipped-for-privacy@msbx.net

To reply to this email please remove the AT after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

Never ever under estimate the incompetent.

Reply to
KG

It will if the Anointed One signs the threatened cap-and-loot bill which the Dimrats want to push through. That will raise energy taxes through the roof, all with His blessing.

Reply to
Roger Blake

I really don't understand this. Cap and trade was a Republican concept that Bush was promoting... but now come the new administration and all the folks on the right of the aisle are against it. Can't you just make up your mind?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

One might just as well ask why the DimRATs are supporting it since it was supported by the eeeevil, satanic George Bush. After all -- Bush's policies were idiotic, failed, crackpot ideas, right?

I'm against cap-and-license-to-steal no matter whether it comes from the Repugnicans or the DimRATs. Both parties are out to screw us. They both stink to high heaven.

Reply to
Roger Blake

Now you're catching on. A pox on both their houses. Time for None of the Above!

Reply to
aemeijers

So what is wrong with that? That would makes more sense than borrowing more money from China. Problem is it is all in your head. That is definitely what this president and the previous 4 presidents should have been pushing for - but he won't. Like the others this one is just another Bum who can't pay his bills.

-jim

Reply to
jim

I don't know wtf they don't just print the money. Borrowing and dumping it into the economy has the same effect as printing money and if they just print the money, then there's no payback. Maybe that is really what is going on and they don't mention that the "deficit" isn't owed.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

What is wrong with crushing, punishing taxes in the middle of a recession? (Or any time for that matter.) Are you serious?

You are looking at the problem backwards. What we need to be doing is reducing spending. You could confiscate all of the privately-held wealth in the country and still not be able to pay for what the DimRATS want to do. The path we are currently on is completely unsustainable.

No argument there.

Reply to
Roger Blake

Yes i'm serious. Either we get used to high energy costs now or pay for it later in a continuing series of energy cost spikes followed by recessions.

Well that is completely false and not very much on point. But I never suggested confiscating anybody's wealth. I'm suggesting we pay our bills. Babbling about reducing spending and not paying the bills is what got us into this mess. We can't all continue to pretend we are Ronald Reagon forever - talk about reducing spending while spend spend spend more than anybody else ever has. Nothing is going to change as long as we are doing nothing but talk about reducing spending and then not paying the bills. If we start actually taxing as much as we spend and pay the piper there might be some hope for change.

Yeah except you will be happy when the next bum who doesn't pay the bills comes along as long as that one spouts whatever BS you prefer.

Reply to
jim

A rather presumptuous assumption. You are of course wrong.

Reply to
Roger Blake