Good book to learn basic car repair

I'm looking for a good book to teach and diagram basic automobile repair. I'm fairly good at repairing things and working with tools but do not have a lot of experience working on cars.

I'm looking for basic procedures such as replacing shocks, ignition wires, etc. I have a 2000 Grand Prix.

thanks for the assistance.

Fred

Reply to
adc31555

Buy a factory shop manual. If you are good at fixing things and working with tools, the basic procedures for replacing shocks, ignition wires, etc. are in the factory shop manual and you will have no problem following them.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Start with the public library - research department. They should have a couple of different manuals for your car. Once replaced the head on an engine just by photocopying a few pages for torque specs., etc., and it's still running fine many years later. You can also check local book stores. And there's always the factory manual, sometimes available on eBay, or direct from your dealer - even at a price - worth having.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

The sort of thing they use in high school auto mechanics classes will do that although they are not specific to any make or model. I've picked up idiot car owner books at second hand sales. They tend to be old but then so's my car - eg Auto Repair for Dummies, Last Chance Garage.

I laso have the Haynes manual (Chilt> I'm looking for a good book to teach and diagram basic automobile

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network homepage:

William R. Watt

I have a copy of Goodheart-Wilcox Automotive Encyclopedia which has a lot to offer. It is not a factory shop manual nor is it intended to be, but the fundamentals for lots of different kinds of systems, brands, etc are discussed.

Reply to
HLS

The very first "For Dummies" book was "Car Repair for Dummies." It's good as it explains all the systems in a car and gives you a good idea of how they work, break, and can be repaired. I recommend reading it, then using the factory manuals for the specifics of your car, though you can usually get by with that book and asking questions on Usenet or the web. The weakness of the factory manuals is they're written from the perspective that the reader is already a certified mechanic, so they cover certain areas in detail while others you get broad strokes ("to rebuild engine, disconnect transmission and remove engine. Now using Nikamashi caliper model 45006, measure cylinder bores and assure each bore is precisely 95.456mm at top and bottom of bore.") The factory manuals for my Rolls-Royce are like that - I have much better luck understanding things using the parts manual's blow-up diagrams. Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown