head success

Well, it looks like the head replacement was a success. No external leaks and the oil and water are staying segregated and at a full level. Temp is normal @80mph and oil light turns off immediately after starting. This is after a long highway drive and many short drives.

The most satisfying part is how it starts right up and idles smooth like it always used to, hot or cold. It also feels rather good to know that everything has been done right to the best of my knowledge and that I did not leave any BS behind (such as a rounded off pulley bolt) for the next guy to have to deal with...

Still have a tapping which I thought was a valve before but now I'm pretty sure it's a bad injector. The nature of the tapping is that it is loudest when the car is cold, only appears between 2k and 3k rpm, and is accompanied by a surge when it begins. Now that I have quiet valves it's easier to note where it is coming from, and it sounds like it's on the #1 side. Coincidentally (or not), I am having a misfire in #1 when the car is cold and idling. I'll change that injector with a junkyard one (tested good) and post if the problem remains.

Thank you to everyone who replied to my posts a few weeks ago with timely and sage advice. Such help transformed a truly maddening experience into a positive outcome. I buy you all a round of cyber-beers. Unfortunately, my RL friends were scarce during this time, so few RL beers will be bought...

Reply to
Ryan Underwood