can I do this??? or do I need another mortgage

I'm pretty sure I need to change the gearbox on a Skoda Felicia estate 1.6. Its making a horrible grinding noise which goes away when I press the clutch, it isn't the cv joints (I've checked that) the loud click happens about 2 times every second, and if I raise the front of the car off the ground I can feel a point of resistance every now and againwhen I turn the front wheels.

I've heard the skoda felicia is very similar to a VW golf.

I'm considering doing the job myself because I'm broke :-(

Does the engine need to come out in order to change the gearbox?

I know this is a question like how long is a bit of string - but how involved a job is this? Is it possible as a one-man job?

Thanks all

Floatything

Reply to
Chris

A replacement gearbox for any car will be quite expensive, so if you are already broke, you may want to think of other alternatives for transportation.

It is possible to remove and replace a transmission at home but you have to have the correct tools and training. Your questions tell me you have neither. Don't take this as a criticism, but as a way to keep from damaging your car and very possibly injuring yourself in the process. An internet discussion group is not the place to learn the basics of removing a transmission. I would either find a friend who knows cars or take the vehicle to a repair shop.

Reply to
John S.

If it's the same as an A1 or A2 Golf, it's well within the ability of a weekend warrior with only a few inexpensive special tools. A helper is useful however.

nate

Reply to
N8N

A Skoda Octavia is very similar to a Golf, a Felicia is old Skoda

Marcel B

Reply to
Marcel B