Help/dashboard lights

x-no-archive: yes

We have a 1986 Chevrolet Celebrity station wagon. The light bulb which illuminates the heater, vent, defrost, air conditioner is not working. How hard is it to have it fixed?

The service writer at Capitol Chevrolet says the bulbs just screw in and they can fix it for labor plus parts of $75 an hour with a 30 min. minimum of $37.50. I called a AAA approved garage named P&M Automotive and was asked if I had the factory stereo and I told them it had been replaced. They said that would make it more difficult and said $130.00 to $190.00 as an est. depending on how much dash they have to tear apart. Cap Chev mentioned nothing about having to remove the dash.

What's involved in changing the the bulb? I don't want to create more problems. I'm assuming it's not a fuse as other dash lights work. I figured some smart, knowledgeable guy here would know.

Please post here as we don't check e-mail very often.

Reply to
David

If you don't want to do it yourself, I would suggest taking it to a gas station that has a mechanic, and asking them for an estimate.

Or just live with it. I had to take out the radio on my 85 Chevy Caprice to get to the light bulb for the heater controls. Took me an hour or two. Would have taken a good mechanic about 15 minutes.

Don't know about the Celebrity labor.

Reply to
Lecher9000

Thanks. But was that radio you took out the factory original or an after market? My problem is I'm getting estimates of 60 to 200 bucks. Most say the after market radio is a problem and a few say they won't know until they get in to it. My wife wants it fixed so it will happen in early

2004. I'm just seeking info on what we are getting into. My back won't allow me to get under the dash. So it has to be a pro. 2 service stations mechanics have passed on the job. Maybe 35-40 years back I would have tackled this myself. FWIW, I had to replace the factory speakers and tape deck after 15 or so years. I would have rather kept the factory unit.
Reply to
David