Windshield washer fluid question

x-no-archive: yes

I'm in Oregon and it seems that Capitol Chevrolet in Salem tells me to not use 20-10 in my windshield washer plastic container. I've been using it mixed with water. They tell me it's soap based and will cause the motor to fail as it did. They tell me to use GM Opti clean or Opti clear ONLY. BUT they also tell me they can't sell it over the counter. But they will put it in when I get a LOF. The problem is they want close to

30 bucks for a lube oil filter and Cascade Tire does an LOF for $18.95 and is open on Saturday. I need to schedule 2-3 weeks in advance to get a Sat. appt. so I figure they are good. Once they did a cv boot for me. But when it came time to do a cooling flush and replace the thermostat they recommended I go elsewhere as they didn't feel up to doing the thermostat. They seem honest. So I'm content to have our '81 Citation and '86 Celebrity get lofs done there and pay ten bucks less than Captitol Chevrolet. BUT if I do that what do I use in the windshield washer reservoir as Capitol Chevrolet tells me Oregon environmental laws prohibit the sale of GM Opti Clean or Clear to the public as it's a hazardous material and every other over the counter windshield washer fluid will be soap based and clog the pump and make it fail. So.........if I want to save on lube oil and filters what kind of fluid do I use in my windshield washer reservoir. I have no idea what Cascade tire uses when it tops off a fluid. Also if the GM Opti clean or Opti clear is a hazardous material why can only Capitol Chevrolet put it in but not the customer. The environment has no idea who poured it.
Reply to
David Zeit

GM won't honor warranty claims for repairs to the windshield washer system if non-Optikleen fluid (dyed red) is found in the tank or lines.

Wouldn't surprise me to learn they used system materials incompatible with standard fluid expressly so as to sell expensive Optikleen, but can't prove it.

But if your car's off warranty, there's NO reason to use Optikleen. The standard ordinary blue stuff will do fine, and 20/10 won't hurt it -- washer pumps fail from time to time.

Horseshit. They can, they're choosing not to.

Total horseshit, every bit of it. They are lying to you.

...You take your '81 and '86 Chevrolets...to the DEALER?!!!

DS

Reply to
Daniel J Stern

x-no-archive: yes

Daniel J Stern wrote:

No, not usually, ONLY when an independent garage tells me there might be a parts problem as was the case here. I try to avoid dealers as much as possible.

Reply to
David Zeit