Help !! oil get sucked up in the air filter

I have a 1977 Jimmy with a 327 engine 350 trany w/ shift kit. lately my air cleaner is full of oil. It has a breather hose on on side which connects to the back of the air cleaner and a pcv valve which is connected to the bottom of the carb. there seems to be plenty of vaccum from the pcv valve . Sorry I must be stupid but i cant figure it out

-- rsslld1

View this thread:

Send from

rsslld1

air cleaner is full of oil. It has a breather hose on on side which connects to the back of the air cleaner and a pcv valve which is connected to the bottom of the carb. there seems to be plenty of vaccum from the pcv valve . Sorry I must be stupid but i cant figure it out.

There isnt any other place the oil could be coming from, except the breather tube, is there? The PCV port into the carb bottom was a place where oil fumes often coked up, and the manifold vacuum could eventually be lost.

But let's assume you have plenty of vacuum at that port, and your PCV valve is working. This would suggest that the blowby is at a level that the PCV system cannot deal with it anymore, and the excess fumes are going into the air cleaner.

That would be my guess, at any rate.

Reply to
<HLS

cleaner is full of oil. It has a breather hose on on side which connects to the back of the air cleaner and a pcv valve which is connected to the bottom of the carb. there seems to be plenty of vaccum from the pcv valve . Sorry I must be stupid but i cant figure it out.

I had an 84 toyotta who's air filter housing all of sudden started collecting oil too much. Over time I found out why. It was carry over from the coolant in the oil system boiling over and entraining the oil up to the air filter. The oil was what was left behind. I later found I had a cracked engine, that started small then just failed.

Do you have a decreasing coolant level?

hth,

tom

Reply to
The Real Tom

cleaner is full of oil. It has a breather hose on on side which connects to the back of the air cleaner and a pcv valve which is connected to the bottom of the carb. there seems to be plenty of vaccum from the pcv valve . Sorry I must be stupid but i cant figure it out.

The oil is geting blown up rather than sucked up. When your rings are worn and you have 400,000 miles on the engine you have to expect it. Same would happen if someone rebuilt it yesterday and did a poor job. Which is it?

Reply to
Al Bundy

I took it to a mechanic today. And here is what was done. we switched the breather hose to pcv valve side and put the pcv valve in the breaher cap. He said that where I had the pcv valve the valve cover had a baffler. And where the breaher cap is there is no baffler. I guess we will see

-- rsslld1

View this thread:

Send from

rsslld1

breather hose to pcv valve side and put the pcv valve in the breaher cap. He said that where I had the pcv valve the valve cover had a baffler. And where the breaher cap is there is no baffler. I guess we will see.

He probably meant 'baffle'. Let us know if it is successful.

Reply to
<HLS