Horn quit working in my '98 Chevy Prism

Hi - I have a 1998 Chevy Prism LSI with 105k miles on it, and the horn recently stopped working. You press on the center of the steering wheel and nothing happens. I know this is an extremely vague question, but are there any things to check for right off the bat? The only thing I can think of is that something happened when I changed the battery. The horn worked fine before that but didn't sound the next time I tried it. I opened up the hood and all I could find was the relay.

On the similar topic, are Prism and Corolla parts from the same years somewhat interchangeable? I have the little relay right here with me, and it says 'Toyota' right on it, as do many parts under the hood.

Thanks much, Joe

Reply to
Joe

If you can hear the relay clicking when you push the horn button, then either you have a bad horn or the wire is disconnected from the horn or the horn is not properly grounded to the chassis of the vehicle.

Reply to
t_puls

I tried it today and didn't hear a thing- could the relay be the cause? If so, where could I get one? NAPA told me it was a dealer part, so I was wondering if I could get any dealer parts online.

Reply to
Joe

I think the nut behind the wheel may be loose. You'll need to dissassemble the steering column and get a wrench in there. If that doens't help, check the fuse.

Reply to
DestructiveMuffin