how do I clean fuel injector on 2001 jeep cherokee

I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 that has about 45000 miles on it. Just recently took it to the shop and was told that I may need a tune up and the injector cleaned. I have no idea on how to clean them. I took it to the shop because it would idle rough when first started. I would shut it off and start it again and it would be okay. That went on for about 2-3 months, then the engine light came on. That's when I took it to the shop and found out that it had a miss. The mechanic changed 2 plugs for me and said it was only a temporary fix. Has anybody had any experience with this?

Reply to
Ben

The chemical used to clean the injectors is too currosive to put in the fuel tank or run it thru the rails. Take it out and ship it to a cleaning site where they blow the corrosive stuff forward and reverse. Let's say an injector runs 100 bucks each and 20 to clean one, it could make sense. They even give you a report card.

If the computer code finds a miss, could be a vac leak that goes on and off, the miss can't be felt but the computer can. The miss would have to go on for long peroids before a code is generated. Indi

Reply to
Indian Summer

Approximately 12/3/03 01:39, Ben uttered for posterity:

You don't mention whether this is a jeep knowledgeable mechanic or not. Your symptoms sound more like a dirty crankshaft position sensor, which may be just the contacts to the thing. It is located on the drivers side of the 4.0 I-6 on the back of the engine. Sometimes just removing the connector cleaning crud carefully and putting it back on will help. If it does, schedule it for replacement.

Were there any scan error codes in the engine?

Not really all that much to tune up on the I-6. No points, the plugs shouldn't be that bad at only 45K miles. You may be able to clean the injectors by switching to premium for a while, and adding a cleaner to a few tankfuls. If that doesn't clear it up, injector cleaner can be run thru it, but the fuel lines are usually bypassed, feeding the cleaner direct to the injector rail.

Reply to
Lon Stowell