2007 Ford Escape whine/vibration

My wife's 2007 4 cylinder automatic escape has had a slight whine/vibration almost the whole time we have had it. It only seems to do it a idle and is worst at a "sweet spot" when giving it gas. This sweet spot is just barely pressing the gas. Along with a whine I can feel it in the steering wheel. I recently flushed the fluid and replaced the power steering pump but the n oise is still there. I have crawled under it with the engine running and tr ied to listen with the end of a screwdriver but cant pinpoint anything. I h ave often wondered if it was the alternator but the alternator spins freely . I have also replaces the belt and tensioner and I believe the idler pulle y.

I have noticed for some reason with the interior lights on, they will dim e very minute or so then go back to normal. I am not sure if this is related or not. I will say the battery seems to be charging okay.

I have also cleaned the throttle body blades in the opening for an unrelate d problem (Throttle would stick on cold mornings). But this did not change anything related to the whine.

Any suggestions on how to diagnose this? Since I am feeling this in the ste ering wheel I wonder if it could be the rack and pinion? This is the only t hing attached to the steering wheel.

It really reminds me of a pump whine for some reason but like I said I repl aced the power steering pump.

I appreciate the help!

Reply to
stryped1

Well if you pull the belt off and run the engine is the noise still there??

Reply to
Steve W.

No. The noise is not there with the belt off.

Reply to
stryped1

Does it have A/C and does the sound change if the A/C pump is engaged?

Just because the alternator charges doesn't mean it couldn't have a bad bearing. Lot's of bad bearings in alternators.

Reply to
Steve W.

So you know it is SOME accessory device driven by the belt, and you have ruled out the water pump. What do you have left? Alternator, power steering pump, AC compressor?

Get a length of fuel hose, have someone bring the engine up to speed and hold one end of the hose to your ear while waving the other around until you can locate the source of the sound. But you only have maybe three choices at this point.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

To add to the other comments, The alternator may increase bearing whine under load. Put all windows up or down at the same time and hold all the switches for a few seconds.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

[...]

OE or aftermarket belt??

Reply to

[...]