Track rod end removal.

This is the second weekend on the trot i've had a go at replacing the track rod ends on my escort and still they won't budge.

I've pretty much given up now and am considering taking it to a garage to get it done but just want a rought idea of what it's likely to cost. I've got the parts already but just want them fitting, I can't see it being expensive but then again someone once attempted to charge me over =A3250 for a fuel pump that i ended up doing myself for about =A320.

So, any ideas cost wise? =20

Ta

Reply to
kris

The message from snipped-for-privacy@revengeguy.co.uk contains these words:

Which bit won't budge, the taper into the arm or the screw on the rod?

Reply to
Guy King

They'll use a gas torch to heat the nut. YOu'll have to ring round though to get a price, it depends on how busy they are.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

=A330-=A360 with some of that being the cost for tracking. Don't know why= =20 people fit their own track rod ends anyway becayse they inevitably take=20 them to a garage to get the tracking checked.

--=20 Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, =A32.50 just for signing up:

Conor

Take an angle grinder to it. Grind it far enough to split the thread. Always works for me.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

But the place where I get my tracking done charges betwenn £15 and £25 - IF they can undo it. If they can't they send me off to free the thing off (afer which they charge me the lower price!)

Combination of grinder and welder gets them off. And I get my track rod ends from a factor who charges me a fraction of what the garage would.

It takes a lot to get my car into a garage. Apart from insurance body repairs, I can't recall the last time I used one.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

THe last pair of trackrod ends I bought a fortnight ago had no locking=20 nuts with them so grinding the old ones off would have left me in the=20 shit somewhat.

--=20 Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, =A32.50 just for signing up:

Conor

If the nut won't budge I usually use a drill if the angle grinder won't fit.

Reply to
adder1969

Rung round a few places today and cheapest i got was =A385!! and that was with me supplying the parts.

At that price i'm not going to bother taking it anywhere but will have another go myself.

One question tho. How easy is it to get the actual track rods off the steering rack as i was thinking it may be easier to buy new trackrods and then save myself the hassle of grinding the ends of the old trackrods.

Reply to
kris

I didn't grind the locking nuts though...

Reply to
Chris Bolus

This is what usually stops people doing it at home. Most track rod ends=20 end up having to be heated up to free them off.