How many treadwear miles do we REALLY get for every 100 UTQG points?

True, I drive like an old man, because at over 50, I guess I am one. Also in an attempt to keep fuel costs down. But it has had several full throttle blasts throuhout it's life. The engine is great, except mine has the leaking intake gasket. It was replaced once under warranty, and it has been leaking again for the past 20,000 miles. Not a lot, but just enough to let me know it is leaking. I have used a total of 2 gallons of 50/50 Dexcool since the second leak began.

Lee Richardson

Reply to
Lee Richardson

You appear to have a terrible misconception of the scientific method. People have given you good answers. I don't know why you choose to ignore them. Nothing other than BS has come up saying that 100 = 30k miles.

If you actually use the scientific method to find out how long a tire will last under certain conditions, you need to subject a tire to those conditions until it wears out. Then you get to repeat the experiment again and again. If the results are pretty consistent, then you *might* have the right answer.

But guess what? Even if they did test the tires until they wore out, there are still all kinds of variables that are different in your case. You are driving in CA, not TX. Your car is likely not the same model. The weather is not the same, etc, etc...

Which of the newsgroups you cross posted to are you talking about?

Yes.

Ivan

Reply to
Ivan Jager

I no longer pay attention to the warranty. Most "premature" wear is from worn chassis or bad alignment. They don't honor the warranty under those circumstances and it's easy for them to show you the uneven wear or worn chassis part, ending your claim efforts.

I would be curious to know the actual percentage of tires that ever get replaced/pro rated under a tread wear warranty. I bet it's miniscule.

Reply to
jjsant

I'll bet if you drove all 150,000 miles in a conservative manner on the same test track you get close to the rated mileage. But the real world is not a test track. There used to be a study that compared tire wear state by state. My home state, NC, was rated near the bottom, mostly because so many secondary roads are recoated with a rock and tar mixture. This leaves a lot of sharp edges exposed that really wear out tires. My ex-wife used to shred tires at an incredible rate. She never, I repeat never, drove on a major highway. If she needed to get from point a to point b on the other side of town, she would wind through all the obscure highly cambered, twisty surface streets she could find. Tires that would last me 50,000 miles would not last her

20,000 miles. Your driving style also affects tire wear. Lots of quick starts, heavy breaking, and high speed cornering will wear out tires much more rapidly than conservative driving. My Sister had a 1980 Honda Accord. She actually had the car shipped to Europe when she worked their for 2 years. When she was back in the states the car was totaled in an accident. It had around 80,000 miles on the odometer. There were rust holes in the body, the car rattled and whistled like a banshee, the muffler had holes you could stick your hand through, but the tires were original and still had enough tread to pass inspection. My Sister just doesn't wear out tires. I think she is averaging over 60k on the cheapest tires she can buy for her current Honda Civic. The type of car also has an effect. I had a 1978 Ford Fiesta. It came with 12" Michelin tires. I read a recommendation that you should never rotate the tries for this car, rather just replace the front ones when they wore out. This is what I did for the first 8 years. Finally when the car had 130,000 miles on the original rear tires, I moved them to the front so I could wear them out before they dry rotted. The fronts were only good for about 40,000 miles per set (Michelins). I think if dry rot wasn't a problem, the rears would have out lasted the rest of the car.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

A lot of it depends on the manager at the local store. I had a cord pop on one of my tires under warranty, then drove on it until total failure. I brought it in, and got a brand-new tire without any hassle. Probably had about 10k on the set when that happened. My other warranty claim was a blown out side wall after thirty miles. Not thirty thousand miles, just thirty. It was a huge hassle to get the idiot at the store to warranty it. Tried to tell me I should have immediately checked my pressures after leaving the store. But after arguing for a while and leveling a few threats I got a new tire. I figure most experiences are somewhere in between, but I certainly do not know.

Reply to
B.B.

Its al about thr rubber. Treadware like 220 will only last maybe 10000 mile s. Where 540 is a 80000 miles tire. The highet the better. For exa. I bough t 2 tires. They were cheap treadware 240 lasted 80000 miles and were near s lick. I got goodyear. Fortera hL...treadware 540 and its been 1.5 yrs. And

26000 miles later still have good tread.
Reply to
knightmoves28379

I prefer sticky tires and would never buy high treadwear tires. My tires last 35k miles but it takes a lot to get them to slide. Great for wet roads in rush hour traffic, like today. Not good to slide into the car in front of you or into the Jersey barriers. If I lived in the desert I may get high treadware tires, but Houston, TX is not a desert, yet.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

I look at the ratings on Tirerack. Good tread wear and good traction are not mutually exclusive plus you have to look at the tradeoff of price vs performance for both as well as traction dry vs wet.

Reply to
>>>Ashton Crusher

The rating says nothing or infers how many miles it should last.

It only gives you a way to compare tires.

There are too many variables in how tires are used and maintained to give a mileage figure.

As an example, some Falken tires have a high UTQG and are warranted for 60 K miles.

But they seldom get more than 50% of the warranty with excellent rotation schedules.

Andy

Reply to
Andy K

LOL I never heard of anyone get 150,000 miles on any tire. I grew up in Buffalo, NY with severe winters and now live in Florida with brutally Most tires with a treadwear rating of 500 have a manufacturer’s warranty of 50,000 miles.

Reply to
Jay657