How Not To Save Detroit

Why when an EXPERT like YOU tells us it is TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE?

Reply to
krp

Really? How much is the Maseratti going for? It is also hand built. ($350K) The cost you are quoting is what it is costing to make hand built prototype vehicles. Yes, I realize that YOU are the FORE$MOST ENGINEERING EXPERT on the planet! I( BOW to your superior knowledge, INDEED it *is* IMPOSSIBLE! There NEVER will be an electric car that is practical. YOU are the EXPERT here Brent! You and Matt. Everyone else can simply GO HOME. You said it, IT'S IMPOSSIBLE! It CANNOT be done!

Reply to
krp

It is a UNIVERSITY they do not HAVE a "MARKETING DEPARTMENT."

Reply to
krp

In so many words, yes.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Wikipedia is not an authoritative source for anything, since anyone can post just about anything they want about any topic there.

Reply to
Roger Blake

It is true what you say about Wikipedia, but I have no reason to doubt that the Professor and his elves have cobbled up this car, and that it performs more or less like they say it does. Nor that they have spent something like a quarter million bucks in its development.

There are other sources on this besides the Wiki article.

It is, right now, a concept car and may never be anything else. But it is impressive.

Reply to
HLS

That value, $255K is what they stated via your source, as the price for the 200 PRODUCTION units they plan to sell.

I don't know about that, but I've got two more engineering degrees than you.

Nice strawman. I never said it was impossible. I believe an electric car is possible, but it will take a breakthrough something on the order of man creating fire or the industrial revolution to make it practical and cost effective for ordinary people*. Something like harnessing 'dark energy' or as they used to call it about century ago, energy from the 'ether'. Until then electric cars will be burdened with the drawbacks of batteries, charging, and limits of electric power distribution.

*people who can't afford to have multiple vehicles for different purposes and don't have the technical knowledge to do more than 'put gas in it'.
Reply to
Brent

LOLZ! hint: they typically call it "public relations", "recruitment", and lastly various department names that mean 'attracting research grant money'.

Sorry. The electric car is possible, but the Ellica does not exist.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Oh, man, has someone taken YOU for a ride....

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

ROTFL.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

Alas, the House of Representatives just voted to ban fire.

No need to get as esoteric as dark energy. A good methanol fuel cell could do it, I think. Whether you'd call the result an "electric car" is another question, though. Barring that, about a 25x increase in energy density for batteries might do it.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

Just making us pay taxes directly to our rulers' masters, goldman-sachs. They didn't spend all that money buying elected office holders and putting their people in government departments for nothing.

I just don't see evolution doing it for electrics, but revolution. Evolution will make them more usable, but the tipping point will be some technology where things will be totally different afterwards. Batteries are just one part of the 'problem'. The energy still has to come from somewhere.

Reply to
Brent

N> Because that is the only way that the general public will accept that N> YOU ARE RIGHT and THEY WERE WRONG all along.

Well since you have asserted that you, in fact, ARE, the world's leading expert, how can *I* disagree?

Reply to
krp

Roger the Wiki article is almost 4 years old. Why not visit the University's website, I posted that too. I was referring to the professors behind the Eliica.

Reply to
krp

BULLSHIT!

Reply to
krp

It doesn't? Mitsubishi thinks it does.

Reply to
krp

Why hasn't it taken over? It can't be GM and

Hmm.. lets see... GM sells patent for the only working successfull battery to Chevron which refuses to build it or allow it to be sold in the US. Of Course big business has the power! HTH Ben

Reply to
ben91932
 They

The Ovonic NiMh battery is still good enough for EV use. GM sold the patent to Chevron which sues anyone who attempts to use, sell or import them in any significant size.

Reply to
ben91932

GM only produced the ev1 to comply with the cal air resources board

10% zev mandate. They *never* intended to mass produce it, just lease enough so they could continue to sell cars in Ca. This is common knowledge. HTH Ben
Reply to
ben91932