How to connect the GPS to speed sensor in '95 Caravan ?

I got a used Kenwood GPS, would like to install on my 95 Caravan, need help to locate the wire to connect the GPS to the speed sensor ... thanks for the help

Reply to
H Ham

I looked at my 93 Caravan, You really need the shop service manual. There you can find the leads.

In any case, on my 93, There is a sealed plug with two wires that plug into the transmission. This plug is located inside the engine compartment, on the drivers side, facing the front and very low, you have to reach way down to get at it.

I forget the colors of the wires, There are a number of plugs in the same area.

If you unplug it and drive a very short distance, the speedo will not work. Your transmission will behave strangely as well, so drive it only a few feet to varify the speedo not working.

One of those two wires is what you are probably looking for. But if you are splicing into them, make sure you seal them up tight against water, This plug is near the road so it sees a lot of water and dirt.

This wire goes right to the computer. The speedo and all the instruments are driven from the computer to the instrument cluster via a bus so you don't have access to the speed data, except right at this speed sensor.

Be carefull with this, you don't want to blow your computer, it is big bucks to replace.

Steve L.

Reply to
Steve L.

Most GPS units are quite capable of computing a pretty accurate speed themselves.I'm curious, what does the Kenwood GPS use the speed sensor signal for? Unless the GPS you are referring to isn't Global Positioning Satellite.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Your engine management system will log a fault for speedo sender not working, which will still be there next time someone looks at the fault codes. Remember to clear the computer or ask your mechanic to do so after you do this to avoid future confusion...

Reply to
Graham

Thanks Steve, I'll try to locate it tomorrow, thanks again for your help.

Matt, mine is a Kenwood KNA-DV2100,it's a 2002 DVD unit, the system do require to connect a wire to the speed sensor, dont know ... please advise, thanks

Reply to
H Ham

Some automotive GPS units use a connection to the speedometer cable (and sometimes other parts of the car wiring) so they can still make a guess as to your position when the satellite signals are temporarily blocked, e.g. by tall buildings or when going through a tunnel.

Reply to
Peter

Why does the subject line say GPS if you are hooking up a DVD unit? My guess for the speed sensor for a DVD player would be to allow the volume to increase with speed. My motorcycle radio/cassette player works this way. The faster I go the louder the volume gets. My unit has a gain control to allow me to select just how fast the volume ramps with speed. Does your Kenwood have such a control? If it does, then this is very likely the purpose of the speed sensor input.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Thanks, that makes sense. I'm used to GPS in airplanes where being blocked by buildings or tunnels isn't a problem. If my GPS gets blocked by either of those, then loss of position is the least of my problems...

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

"... Kenwood KNA DV2100 GPS Receiver ..."

Reply to
Graham

I think the speed sensor is to alert the GPS system to stop operate like ...dead reckoning for tunnels etc ... so the map will not move around and stop the GPS to search where I'm located, that's way I need to connect to the speed sensor, but up to now still can't locate the speed sensor wire yet.

H.Ham

Reply to
H Ham

Look here for why its called a GPS DVD system

REMOVE the NOCRAP in my address to reply.

Reply to
Len

Looks neat, but I didn't see any referenct to a "DVD unit" as mentioned above. Looks like only a navigation system, from what I read at the link above.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

The Kenwood instructions don't tell you where to find it?

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Much better link. Looks neat.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Just a couple of small clues:

DVD FEATURES

- Dual-Layered DVD Disc

- DVD-ROM Player: 2x Speed

- Kenwood-Developed DVD-ROM Mechanism

NAVIGATION FEATURES

- Included DVD Contains Maps for Entire Continental USA and Canada

Reply to
kashe

Kenwood KNA-DV2100 instruction diagram shows a wire to connect to speed sensor, that's it, that's why I'm looking for the 95 Caravan speed sensor location ... H. Ham

Reply to
H Ham

Probably best to visit your local Chrysler dealer and ask them.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

W/O EAT: ORG =3D 5 V supply BLK/LT BLU =3D GND WHT/ORN =3D VSS Signal

W/EAT: VSS Signal at PCM is still WHT/ORN

Reply to
saeengineer