Jackstands for American V8

Hi,

Would this work alright on a Chevy Caprice? I need to take the tension off my front sway bar, so I can replace one of the endlinks. I thought I would use jackstands right behind the tire-changing jack points on the frame. I would jack up one side, place a jackstand right behind the jack connection, lower the car onto the jackstand, then do the same for the other side. Is this where jack stands normally get placed? Would that be stable?

Thanks

Reply to
Caprice85

Those points are normally to be used with the supplied "tire changing" jack. I would find part of the subframe you can place the jack under to raise the vehicle. If you aren't confident finding that, you might try under the A-arm. The jack stand could then be inserted under the other side of the A-arm.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

I would not put the stands where the jack goes.

My car is a front wheel drive unibody (no frame). I put the jack stands under the box reinforcement on the body, the thing that looks like a frame. It supports the front end okay and has not bent the metal at all. They are plenty far enough apart to provide wide stable support. Before getting under the car grab it and give it a good shake to make sure it's stablle.

One thing I learned about jack stands. Some are too big to fit under small cars. I bought the first pair second hand and found they were too big.

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network homepage:

William R. Watt

The only thing you need to do to ensure that the tension is off a sway bar is raise both sides *equally*. You can use ramps and leave the car on its tires if that allows access, or you can put both sides on jackstands and let both wheels hang free. Just don't jack up ONE side and not the other.

Reply to
Steve