Lead free battery terminals or Lead terminals

Our Honda OEM battery terminals are aging. We'd like to switch to OEM Lead free battery terminals or solid lead battery terminals. Which are most reliable?

Thanks

Reply to
Sam Nickaby

Which type are now shot?

Mike

Sam Nickaby wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

"Mike Romain" wrote

Lead free. I have a white crusty substance is building up on the terminals.

Reply to
Sam Nickaby

I'll guess stainless steel clamps. Amp (Tyco) used to make them, and they never corroded on me, but neither have my ordinary steel clamps and lead clamps. I've always kept them coated with hi-temp grease, but just coating the terminals after the clamps are attached doesn't seem to be enough. It's better to remove the clamps, thoroughly clean them and the clamps, including with baking soda and water, and coat with grease before reassembly. The grease will not impede current flow since the pressure of the clamps will squeeze it out and pierce the film.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

That is normal corrosion that should be cleaned off every year or two. A wire brush and baking soda work well, then you can coat them with some dielectric grease to slow down future crud from building up.

If they are not pitted or cracked or bent all out of shape, I wouldn't change them.

Mike

Mike Romain

Within a few years... battery terminals will most likely be "lead free" due to the RoHS European initiative. The terminals will probably be made of copper... and may have a tin plating.

Professor

Professor