MAF in backwards

what sort of problems would I experience if the Mass Air Flow sensor is in with the arrows pointing the wrong way? I just found mine in wrong and I am experiencing intermittant poor acceleration when the engine is hot on a hot day. I haven't driven it enough (now that its in correctly) to know for sure if its better now.

Reply to
boxing

Engine won't run because the cone shuts off the airflow.

Reply to
PauL

it actually runs no differently when its in backwards

Reply to
boxing

Seriously, what are the arrows for?

Reply to
clifto

the arrows are for direction of air flow. it makes no difference in my

1997 suburban with a 5.7
Reply to
boxing

It depends on exactly what kind of MAF sensor you are talking about. A hot wire sensor won't care which way the air flows. A mechanical type may very well block if the flow pushes the cone/diaphram or whatever closed instead of open.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Now that you've mentioned a make and model we can continue. I haven't looked at that style in quite a while, but I don't think that it has any (significant) asymmetrical airflow paths inside. Also it is unusual in that it *can* be turned around. I still wouldn't use it backwards unless it was for some sort of testing. The MAFs I see on a daily basis can't be installed backward in their air boxes. Furthermore, there is a designed in 'windbreak' for lack of better terminology that would surely interupt intended airflow patterns around the two sensor elements if it were oriented wrong.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish