Mannifold heat shields

My intake mannifold had some cheap plastic looking heat shields and used some contraption with studs screwed togther to hold it on. It would be much easier to use regular bolts.

Is it necessary to re use these shields???

Reply to
stryped

Usually it IS a good idea to have the shields, but the studs could be replaced with anything that holds the shield well. In a carbureted car the shield keeps perculation down. Even with a TBI injection, you don't want those parts getting too hot.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

I think your answer is good, Don. I have seen some of these things that are purely ornamental, but most have a purpose or they wouldnt be there.

Reply to
HLS

if they are plastic they may just be decorative. Seems like a heat shield would be made of metal. it's become trendy to cover the engine with plastic covers to make them look pretty.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

You will have to figure out if they are functional. Some are, many are not. Use deductive reasoning. Many are there because the few people that have enough skills and knowledge to be able to open the hood would get confused and have a nervous breakdown if they saw wires and hoses.

Reply to
Paul

They can be a pita, but are there for a reason. I always do my best to keep them intact. HTH Ben

Reply to
ben91932