80's heat shields

The heat shield for the exhaust system on my '87 Scirocco has come loose and is sitting on the exhaust system.

I've been looking it over, as best one can with the car still standing on the ground, and I'm not seeing any obvious mounting points on it. But there is something that looks like aluminum foil on the top side of it that looks like it might have had some kind of adhesive on it. Were these just stuck to the bottom of the car with some sort of glue or double-sided tape or something? Or are the mounting points just not obvious from where I'm looking at it? Or something else?

Thanks.

Reply to
Bill Leary

There are several heat shields, is it the one for the gas tank or cat/down pipe?

SFC

Reply to
SFC

I think he's describing the tunnel heat/sound blanket. There is also a proper heat shield on the cat that falls off frequently (or comes loose making a crap load of noise!)

Unfortunately I can't remember how the tunnel insulation is held on!

Reply to
PeterD

Now that you mention it, I remember what the cat heat shield on my

70-something Rabbit looked like, and this is nothing like that. In fact, I don't SEE anything like that on the exhaust system at all.

But...

Well, it's aluminum, or something very like it, and it runs from just in front of the cat all the way back past to just about where the middle of the back seats are.

I suspect that's not there. If it looked anything like the ones on the early Rabbits did, I don't see it at all.

Ah, well, now that we've established what it is, maybe someone else will remember.

Or, sheesh I just now thought of it, I can check the OTHER '87 Scirocco I've got (parts car) and see how it's attached on that one.

Thanks.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary