Mustang Exhaust Header Studs

I don't know the answer to your first question, but I would just replace the O2 sensors. Use anti-seize when you install them, but be careful not to get any on the tip, anti-seize will ruin the sensor if it actually gets inside.

good luck,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I'm replacing the rotted H-pipe on my '92 Mustang LX Convertible with a Pypes X-pipe. I broke one stud on each exhaust header flange, removing the old pipe. These are the factory exhaust headers. How are the studs held into the flanges? From under the car, they don't look like they are threaded.

Also is there any secret to getting the O2 sensors out of the old pipe or should I just replace them?

Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
Bob La Rocca

"Bob La Rocca" wrote

Well, they are. Silly double-ended studs that Ford likes to use. You should be able to see the remains of the hex from underneath, or the little bit of upper threads poking out the topside of the flange. You might be able to get it out with lots of penetrating oil, heat, and effort, or just torch/drill it out and use a long bolt, nut & washers like I did. 10 years so far, and it's holding just fine.

Reply to
MasterBlaster