My 1992 Grand Marquis and possible EEC-IV problems!

I have a 92 Mercury Grand marquis and I believe my EEC-IV is bad. When I disconnect the neg cable, it takes my car a day to relearn it's idle vaues, it will surge like crazy and keep shutting off untill then!! The gas mileage is also terrible during this time and when the engine is revved, you can see a small puff of black smoke come out of the exhaust! I realize that the EEC has to relearn it's values, but surging and stalling constantly is not part of it. Then every once in a while the car will act like the computer has been reset and start surging again!! It will also do this if I do some hard highway driving. Ive changed the IAC, MAF and cleaned the EGR channel, so I know that cant be the problem!! Also the computer itself has not thrown any codes! Anybody have computer problems like this and did replacing the computer fix the problem??? Thanx for any future replys!!

IvaN

Reply to
babyivan

did you clean the throttle plate and throttle throat? do that first. then if you still have the problem, do it again.

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Check the fuel pressure. I'd also check the injectors, sounds like one or more is leaking.

Reply to
Dave in Columbus

interesting, Im gonna check the injectors today....thanx

Reply to
babyivan