My trailer

I have a trailer with what I think are axles out of a 50's era truck front end. These have 6 lug 15 inch wheels. Can anyone tell me what wheels would fit as replacements?

The center caps for these axles have screw on dust caps. Someone even cut the wheel hole wider with a torch to make it fit.

Would any 6 lug wheel fit? I can email pictures if that helps.

Reply to
stryped

1969 Chevy P/U ould be where I'd start. Used to be some Datsun trucks that used the same pattern, too. I don't know of anything more recent
Reply to
Gerry

Looks like it may be a 6X5.5

Look here

Gerry

If they had to cut out the wheels to fit its probably a Ford hub, and those are probably GM or Dodge rims. 1/2 ton Ford wheels should fit. Visit any local junkyard and ask to see if you can try some old rims.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

The old Datsun pu wheel used a larger center hole too, I think

Reply to
Gerry

Axles with screw on dust caps are old. My guess is 30's Chev car. I believe

50's and 60's Chev PU wheels fit. Steve
Reply to
Up North

Will I have problems finding bearings for it?

Reply to
stryped

The bearings probally have a manufacturer/part number on them.Check your local auto parts stores.

I own an old trailer.It has two axels and four wheels, five spoke iron/steel wheels.The wheels are inboard, not outboard like most trailers nowadays. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

What are they ball bearings or tapered roller bearings?

Reply to
Up North

"Up North" fired this volley in news:i24ek501o4 @enews5.newsguy.com:

Shouldn't matter much. Bearings are pretty much available for anything you want to name.

But Stryped wants YOU to find the bearings. Otherwise, he wouldn't be asking you if they were available, he'd be calling a bearing shop.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Naw, Lloyd, this is a new crappy trailer, not the one he was asking about a number of weeks ago.

Reply to
cavedweller

Just measure the lug pattern.

Reply to
willy

willy

Get a piece of cardboard, empty cereal box cardboard/whatever.Hold the cardboard behind a wheel and draw the lug nut holes and the center hole with a pencil.That's what I always do.

Nothing beats a torn off piece of brown paper sack for writing down notes with a lead pencil. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

FWIW, I once had some deep-dish aluminum mags stolen off a Ford E-100 van; they're 5-hole, and when I went to buy replacements, nobody at the wheel store could find a match, so they sold me "universal" wheels, which had slots and used special shouldered lug nuts with mongo washers.

These were, as I say, 5-hole, but looking for a slotted 6-hole 15" rim is an idea that shouldn't waste too much time.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The wheels on my 1983 Dodge RV van have slotted lug nut holes.The lug nuts are acorn head style lug nuts. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin