Need Help with Toyota 2000 Avalon won't start

6 months ago my battery went dead on my 2000 Toyota Avalon (58K miles). I replaced with Sear DieHard battery. In a week or 2 I started to notice that the door lights flicker as well as the dashboard (odometer display) and the day lights, the local Toyota dealer told me my alternator is no good, I replaced the alternator with a remanufacture one less than half of the new alternator, But the light flickering did not really go away, I am kind of ignoring it as long as the car can run. Two days ago in the morning the car wouldn't start, it won't crank and make no sound at all, I check the battery it is good (I know because I took it out and used on my other car Maxima and it started without any problem, I also took the battery to Sear and they checked that the battery is in good shape) One clue is that if I used a battery charger to jump start the Avalon, it cranked and started, so what is wrong with my Toyota Avalon can anyone help ? Thanks in advance
Reply to
wswwong

I would suspect the voltage regulator. The light flickering could be because of fluctuating voltage.

This however does not fit the no-start problem. Unless maybe you were not getting enough to trigger the starter relay.

Reply to
marks542004

Maybe a bad connection, dirty battery cable terminals would be a start. Make sure your ground connections are clean and intact. See if this buys you anything at all.

Reply to
<HLS

turn your head light's on and try to start your car if they dimm you have a bad ground if not its your starter

Reply to
tudysmuck

Well I tuned on the head light and started the car, it made a "click" sound and the whole thing die -.everything power off. BTW the battery charger won't start the car anymore, it must be the bad grounding problem, well how can I identify where the bad ground problem comes from Thanks

Reply to
wswwong

start with the ground to the body from the battery clean all ends with sand paper or a battery gizmo post cleaner while the ground is off from the battery do the same from the positive to the starter that should fix u up

Reply to
tudysmuck

I suspect headlights dimming when you start the car would be normal on just about any car.

It sounds like you have a bad battery cable or connection.

Reply to
Bruce Chang

They may dim, but they dont go dead as a turd, Bruce. High resistance in the power circuit, low battery capacity, or some such.

Reply to
<HLS