No electric to new fuel pump

I recently installed a new fuel pump on a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo and it is not getting any power. I checked the voltage at the connection and it read 11 something but when I plug the fuel pump in.........it loses all voltage. Something is grounded it when I plug it in. I have checked all relays and I am completely stumped........any thoughts.

Reply to
gloeliger

you say you've checked the relay but is it possible that the fuel pump relay has high resistance across the contact points... sounds plausible esp. if the old pump really was bad, could have been drawing very high current causing an arc when the points closed/opened. If a relay for your vehicle is not that expensive I'd try it.

good luck,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

The meter pulls a lot less current than the pump does... if you put a light bulb there, you'll find it doesn't light up at all, even though the high impedance meter measures a little leakage voltage.

Check the pump relay. Then check the wiring.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey