no-start on 2000 Chev Express van

I have a no-start on my chevy van, 2000 model year, 5.7 litre V8. It cranks fine, seems to cough when I stop cranking but won't otherwise even try to fire. I've been told that the "clear flood" mode is to crank with quarter throttle, which hasn't helped.

Last night wasn't particularly cold but there was a driving wind with some rain and it was parked into the wind- are these things subject to water related issues? Ignition's way at the back on these, but maybe the computer?

Just looking for ideas to try before I get it towed...

Thanks, brian

Reply to
Brian

Shep

brian...this is just a thought....try tapping on the mass airflow sensor with the handle of your screwdriver while attempting start.......i've ran across that before........i say this because of the "cough" that you mentioned.

Reply to
plainoldmechanic

On my '05 Express (4.9 v8) there is some sort of box (computer?) on the left fender just behind the driver side headlight. Above it is a black plastic water deflector that clips to the left fender and a support rod. It says "do not remove - water protection device" or something like that. Is it there? I think it's purpose in life is to keep water dripping in the gap between the hood & fender from reaching the computer.

Reply to
Bob M.