Oil light - how would your kids react?

A few weeks ago on this ng everyone ragged the Jiffy Lube victim who kept driving his car (to the service center) after the oil light came on. Of course, none of _us_ would ever do that, but have you asked your mom, your kids, your spouse and/or your lover how they would react to the oil light coming on. I'll bet you'll be shocked! (Oh, and post their answers here, for my amusement!)

To avoid "leading" them to the correct answer, I suggest that the question be posed something like: You're in the fast lane of the freeway, or in a bad part of town, or are late for work.

  1. What do you have to do if the check engine light comes on?
  2. What do you have to do if the engine temperature light comes on?
  3. What do you have to do if the engine oil light comes on?

Hen-ry

Reply to
Burnt

My wife is car savvy enough to know what to do.

I actually commented to her about that thread and she laughed and said, 'shit, even I know enough to kill the engine fast and coast over to a stop if the oil light comes on'.

Same for overheating, she knows to pull over quickly and find out why and either let it cool and add coolant before starting back up or to call me to come with a new belt or water pump or hose.

We don't have a check engine light in either of our vehicles.

Mike

Burnt wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Then put a new engine in it. LOL When the oil (lack of pressure ) light comes on the first thing you immediately do is reach down and turn the key off!!! then coast to safe location and investigate ..check oil level with dipstick, restart at idle to see if it is still on, call for tow. BTW, you might want to only turn the key back one click so the engine goes off but the wheel is still unlocked...

Reply to
Uncle Dodo

Well, I am the only one that drives in my house (wife has not had a need to yet, so she does not even have her license.

Out of the 3 vehicals I have, only 1 has any of the above lights

  1. Stop, pop hood, look, yep engine is still there, look under truck, yep, broke another O2 sensor off, keep driving.
  2. If it gets to the point that the engine temp light came on, I would be kicking my self for not looking at the temp gauge, then stop ASAP and find out why.
  3. Clutch -> motor off

Other then that, knowing what your motor is doing, what is weak points are, and what punishment you are giving it helps to know when you are pushing the limits.

~Brian

Reply to
<not

Not necessarily.

If there's a safe location within coasting distance.

In the wrong part of town? No thanks!

I drove a car 20 miles once with zero oil pressure. I drove it damn slow and there was oil in the sump, but the oil pump was bust. I didn't have to replace the bearings.

I agree an immediate shutdown is the thing to do if you're just coming back from the shopping center on neighborhood streets, but remember the scenario specified-- "You're in the fast lane of the freeway, or in a bad part of town"

Reply to
John Ings

What about the rings? ::)

Hrm... I had a ingition mod. of the torqueless wonder died on me in the left lane of the dan-ryan expressway at like 82nd street this past summer... does that qualify?

Coasted to the right shoulder, hobbled the car to 79th street, pushed it into a legal parking space at the end of the off-ramp and my brother and I got on the redline 'L' taking the train to the destination. (me carrying my tools in a bag) Went back for the car the next day, but that's another story,... stupid idiot at autozone gave me the wrong part.... and it just gets more fun from there.

Reply to
Brent P

Nor the rings.

Ever see one of those ads for this or that womder oil or oil additive where they run a test engine without oil in it for oh-so-impressively long? It's amazing just how long you can run an engine with no oil in it if you keep the loads light and the revs down.

Probably.

How many lanes is that?

We all have our war stories...

Reply to
John Ings

I know... I was playing off of only mentioning the bearings.

Forgot to specify the city, south side of chicago for those who don't know. Particularly rough area.

At that point, 5 I think, maybe 6.

yep. Just saying coasting over is possible. least with a manual trans.

Reply to
Brent P

As I've often told my wife (and will tell my daughter when she's old enough to drive): It doesn't matter one hoot what kind of neighborhood you're in or where you're going if the oil light comes on. Find the safest *POSSIBLE* place to pull over and stop, because if you do not do so, the odds are very good you WILL stop within a matter of seconds or minutes, and you WON'T have any choice about how or where.

Reply to
Steve