On-Star: Thoughts On ?

About three years ago, I saw on the internet an article about crooks can buy a small hand held electronic gadget that very rapidly scans codes and those crooks can electronically unlock cars anywhere. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

About 40 years ago I saw in the paper an article about crooks can pick up a rock and break out a glass side window.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

The ability is there in the system BUT GM does not let them use it. Why?? Don't know. It does function like a LoJack in that it will send out the cars location if it is reported stolen AND the thief wasn't smart enough to cover the antenna.

Reply to
Steve W.

I seem to remember reading that the technology was in place such that policemen and perhaps the military could shut off your car at will. Certainly not a technological milestone, but perhaps they have some intimidation about invoking such a system.

The Gestapo would have love all the high tech, wouldnt they have?

Reply to
HLS

Reply to
man of machines