Opinions on injector cleaners

This truck has about 110,000 on it. It is not driven much. I noticed this fall and now into winter that when I cold start it, sits over night or an extended period of time, it starts, but runs rough, almost like it's missing or fowling out. This seems to go with the outside temperature, the colder it is, the rougher it runs. It also seems to run rich. Within a minute or so, no problem, runs like a champ. Recently I replaced the egr valve, the knock sensor, gave a full tune-up and flushed the coolant system. I've also checked for vacuum leeks around the carburetor and replaced the pcv valve vacuum line (the old one was cracked). A friend was thinking that the fuel pressure regulator was bad, so we rebuilt that. Since then, it still runs rough at a cold start. This past weekend, I replaced the coolant sensor. I still have the same problem. Now I'm thinking that I have a injector problem, either bleeding or dirty. I've never used a injector cleaner, I've been told in the past that they don't help at all. Is this something I should look into. Is there anything else that I could look at? I've been around vehicles and not afraid to work on them, just can't figure this one out. Really could use help in figuring this one out.

Reply to
brian

Brian, For the record, what kind of truck is this? Engine? 4.6L?

Have you replaced the fuel filter? Does this vehicle have more than one? Have you eliminated a vacuum leak?

You might have more substantial problems that a cleaner won't fix but the better ones are worth a shot. I'd try a bottle of Red Line SI-1 fuel system cleaner then a bottle of Chevron Techron in the next tankful. These two cleaners are not merely alcohol, but are effective chemical cleaners. I forgot what CTechron is but Red Line is (I believe) ester based so is safe to use over longer periods as it is also a light lubricant.

Both are about $5 each (for a 12oz bottle) so you're not out a lot of money if they don't solve your problem.

Isopropyl alcohol (isopropynol) is another thing I'd run in case accumulated moisture is at least part of the problem ... $1 or less at places like WalMart. DO NOT use the cheaper methanol.

If you have a local Schaeffer dealer, their 131 Neutra fuel conditioner is another cost-effective, ester-based cleaner not totally like the Red Line SI-1:

The long and short of it is that a LOT of pour-in cleaners are not terribly helpful but there are a couple out there which have their use.

Best of luck,

--- Bror Jace

Reply to
Bror Jace

For the record, what kind of truck is this? Engine? 4.6L?

Have you replaced the fuel filter? Does this vehicle have more than one? Have you eliminated a vacuum leak?

replaced the fuel filter about 10,000 miles back. I checked all the vacume lines that I can see. This has been a real odd problem. Done nearly everything that I can do to it, just looking for some information in case I'm missing something. I believe that I'm down to having the injectors cleaned. This truck doesn't have a MAP sensor and I've replaced nearly everything else that I believe could possibly cause the problem. Any thoughts or ideas would be helpfull and appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
brian

Might be a head gasket leak ... or coolant leak at the intake manifold. Best (simplest/cheapest) way to check for that is to get a sample of the motor oil tested by a lab. It's about $20 without the TBN test which is not necessary in this situation. I (occasionally) use these guys and they correctly diagnosed my Honda 1.5L which developed a head gasket leak:

But, I'd try the injector cleaners first. They are cheaper and you want to do the cheapest, simplest things first.

Best of luck,

--- Bror Jace

Reply to
Bror Jace