Oscillating noise then transmission failure

A while back I noticed an oscillating noise while driving at highway speeds on my 96 Geo Metro A/T. The noise gradually got louder several months down the road - oscillating noise was noticeable even on idle. One day while making a right turn to a street which leads up to a hill, there was a metallic clunk, then transmission failure - car wouldn't move in any gear. I just had the tranny swapped with a used one -the old one wasn't rebuilt so I never go to know what problem was with it. Two years later 60k km, I can again hear a slight oscillating noise on the freeway. I'm afraid it might be the same problem. Anyone have any idea what could have been defective with the first tranny which btw lasted 287k km before it failed?

Reply to
Murphy

Geo Metro's should never have been assembled with Automatic Transmissions. Just think for a minute about how ridiculous it is to have a tiny three cylinder pushing an automatic transmission. Also, Geo Metro's should be banned from all highways where the speed is greater than 50 MPH.

Reply to
Loose Cannon