(OT) Tools.

My old electric drill has burned out.I was wondering if those keyless chucks on some electric drills are any good? Yesterday, when I was at the Lowe's store, I saw some Black & Decker keyless chuck electric drills for about $30.00.I might get over there and buy one of those Black & Decker electric drills.

I don't need a high price electric drill or a battery powered electric drill. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I personally hate 'em when they get old and sloppy but I have a DeWalt with keyless chuck that I bought new several years ago (actually a refurb bought cheap off Amazon) and it is still fine.

You can get a real Jacobs 3/8" keyed chuck at Harbor Freight for cheap. I needed a 1/4" chuck for my right angle drill and found one old and dusty on the shelf at my local hardware store for about $6. So if the keyless chuck is a deal killer, but you only need the drill for occasional use, buying an inexpensive drill and replacing the chuck might still be a better buy than a good Milwaukee or something with a real chuck factory installed.

Oh, and the little rubber strap that holds the chuck key to the power cord is a must have.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I just got back home from the Lowe's store about half an hour ago.I bought a keyless chuck Hitachi electric drill, (about $44.00) and four Kobalt jack stands and a few other things.I spent about $119.00. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Nate Nagel wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news7.newsguy.com:

Unless you buy them by the box - like Red Green. My father used to use

2,000 lb test chain to put it on the cord.
Reply to
fred

I have had really good luck with them, assuming of course that they are quality tools.

I wouldnt touch another keyed chuck, if I could avoid it.

Reply to
HLS

I prefer keyless for most things. However, they are bigger and don't fit in some places and difficult for close to a wall drilling. Sharp metal tends to rip up the plastic on them. I use drills mostly for metal.

Reply to
Paul

I own quite a few old electric drills and hand crank manual drills.One of them is an old timey antique post drill.Another one is a Black & Decker electric drill.That B & D drill has an octagon shaped case/barrel.I think it dates back to the 1930s.I own a heck of a lot of various kinds of tools.Some of them are collectible tools, like the kind serious tool collectors like to collect.I bought them many years ago at junk shops and flea markets and thrift stores and pawn shops.

I reckon the main reason I bought a new electric drill today is because I want to try out a new fangeled keyless chuck drill. I have to have a new, or old ''Toy'' every so often, if you know what I mean? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Have you ever used big Visegrip pliers, or pipe wrenches before to change a drill bit because you lost or misplaced your chuck key or it wore out so much it wouldn't work anymore? I have.Those key chucks should have flat spots on them, in case you lose your chuck keys you can use wrenches on them. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I found this little rubber thing that sticks right onto the side of the drill with a hole in it to hold the key.

Reply to
Michael L Kankiewicz

If you lose your rubber strap, you can tie the chuck key on there with a piece of bailing wire or string.I have done that before too.My old Makita right angle drill, that thing is Dangerous! I cut off a few inches of that long lever that turns the drill on.Last Sunday, I mashed the heck out of my index finger on my left hand because I forgot to unplug the drill when I was putting in a philips screwdriver bit.What it is, I am in the process of enclosing my old trailer with 2'' by 4'' studs and 2'' by 4'' roof rafters and plywood, all of that with my 1914 Ford Model T car sitting on my trailer. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

That is an excellent idea! Thank you. Teeth tools don't grip the hardened steel chucks very well. The flat spots would not have to be much. I will do them all eventually.

Reply to
Paul

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3173.bay.webtv.net:

Bad habit you need to break. It will rough up the surface and create burrs. I refuse to let *anyone* work on my car that doesn't know when to use a wrench and when to use pliers. Use your vice and horse it down

*hard*. Won't slip that way.
Reply to
fred